Pletzy's 1991 Sylvan Sea Snapper V-Bottom Mod

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Carpeting and decking has started. The bow and middle deck has been carpeted. Hinges were purchased (1.25" open width .040ga) to fit my 5/8 plywood, however the wrong ones were shipped. Still waiting. Test fit the bow deck and it looks like it's starting to take shape. bow deck.jpg Got my switch box set into the seat and the bilge pump switch installed. They didn't have ones that matched in stock, so it looks (and is wired) different than the others. I moved the voltmeter switch beside the device. panel done.jpg My wiring diagram stayed the same, except that I ended up using 8ga wire for the trolling motor extension instead of 10 due to the length of the run. I used SS bolts and wingnuts to make the connection from the factory TM fork connectors to my heavy duty 8ga lug ring connectors (total of 6) which will be housed in a weatherproof box.tm connect.jpg The bolts will be mounted to a cutting board post so that they don't touch any metal (borrowed the idea from someone else on here). I'll post pics when done. The 8 ga wire runs below the floor to the battery, where i used a 50A breaker which is then connected directly to the battery (breaker for the TM is on the right).breakers.jpgI have tested the bilge, nav/anchor lights and TM and everything works. I'm attaching my wiring diagram for my contura rocker switches for everyone's future reference. I got some help on another thread for the wiring of the on/off/on switch.schematic2.jpg

Here is how I made my TM connection at the stern of the boat. I started by cutting two holes in the base of a plastic 4x4 gang box big enough for the TM fork connectors to fit through.tm2.jpgNext I cut a piece of cutting board big enough to fit in the box. I drilled pilot holes for my SS bolts and used a spade to cut out a bit for the head of the bolt to sit flush with the cutting board (can't take credit for this idea, i've seen it done on this site).tm1.jpg I used 3m 5200 to secure it to the plastic, then made the connection between my 8ga wire which runs to the battery, then screwed the box to the stern bench with self tapping screws.tm3.jpgtm4.jpg

Lots of progress made. Got the deck all carpeted and wiring all secured and tested. Haven't fastened the deck down yet as I'm still waiting on the hinges for the hatches. Fish finder and TM are all wired in. The rear seat is in, along with the cupholders - they hold a wobbly pop pretty well. deck1.jpgdeck2.jpgdeck3.jpgdeck4.jpg

I appreciate the compliments @pitts101, @Silverad04 & @KTS!
Few more things done... here is how I attached my removable seats to the deck using toggle bolts. I put a washer on the top of the bolt because the holes were a little big on the plastic mount.toggle.jpg My hinges arrived too... I think a 2" gap between screws was overkill, so I used 3" gaps on all the other hinges. I made sure to offset the screw pattern so the screw heads don't touch.hatch1.jpg Built a cubby at the bow. Its just a 1/2" ply piece (horizontal) butted up against another 1/2" piece (vertical). The vertical has a small 1x2 brace at the bottom to screw into.bow.jpg

She's done! Well, done enough... a few more finishing touches are needed, but STILL FISHING TOMORROW! Had a bit of a motor scare bringing her outta storage but she purrs like a kitten now. Here is the original photos reposted:2014-01-18 14.22.31x.jpg2014-01-18 09.58.42x.jpgAnd here's the finished product!done1.jpgdone2.jpgdone3.jpgdone4.jpgdone5.jpgdone6.jpgdone7.jpgdone8.jpgdone9.jpgdone10.jpg Splashing it tomorrow... hope it floats. Will post pics tomorrow!
Oh, and almost forgot the most important part. The name of my boat. Gotta get this vinyl'd or sprayed on. Might not be appropriate for some, but I don't care hahahaha!!!boat name.jpg
=D>

The Snapper floats! No leaks, besides a crappy old boat plug.water1.jpgTook it out to a nearby lake with a bud to go fish pike. No pike, but just happy that everything worked. With 2x 200lb guys, battery, full tank of gas, gear and half a tree of wood, the 15hp pushes us about 15mph (22km/h). Going against the wind was about 13mph. Not baaaad. I expected worse!water2.jpg