powerdrive v2 vs a cable driven TM

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KHaus41369

Reaction score
I have a question Ive somewhat looked for my answer here in past posts but didnt quite find it. I know the main differences between the minn kota PD v2 and a cable driven TM like the Edge. My real question is how do they actually perform ? ...Ive heard Walleye guys like the PD v2 because the motor locks Bass guys like cable because the motor has movement. IM not quite sure what they mean I dont really fish for a type of fish other than what hits our bait or our lures. I have a 20 yr old Motorguide cable drive now and it sucks Id like the PD but never used one I dont care for the heel to toe much anymore due to knee issues.....hope someone can give me some thoughts

when you push a direction to steer on the pedal of a cable drive the TM responds instantly, an electric steer(like a PD or terrova) takes a second for the motor to react and turn the direction you want. ive had both and to be honest the very short time an electric steer takes to react makes no difference wether i was fishing walleyes,bass or any other fish and i see no advantages or disadvantages in regards to one being better for different species. i like how the electric steer doesent have the cable running from the head of the TM myself but thats just me. `i'll stick with my electric steer.

I just bought my dad a terrova because he has knee issues and got tired of the cable steer. If you get an electric motor, I would recommend one with the key fob (copilot or ipilot). That way you don't need to use your foot to run the motor and you can control it from anywhere in the boat.

Scott

I have a PD V2 and my only complaint is that it steers too fast!! I like having the 18ft cable so I can run it from the rear.. But if I could slow down the steering, I would.

Not to jump on the band wagon here but I too have a PD V2. I just got it this year and I love it. The deciding factors for me were the motor itself doesn't take up that much space on the deck of my boat compared to a cable driven model and you don't have the long cables in the way on a smaller boat. I also like the ability to control it from anywhere in the boat as said before either with the cord and foot pedal or the key fob device. I fish long shorelines here in PA where the stumps and rocks are kind of down deep. It's nice to have the motor lock into place and just tap the foot pedal to re-position the boat every now and then as you drift down the shoreline. The same goes for electric only lakes. Hit the constant run feature and the boat drives itself to your spot... just direct the boat every now and then.

I have the PD-V2 and I absolutely love it. I fish with children in my boat a lot and the hands free operation from anywhere in the boat is worth it's weight in GOLD! At anytime I have a problem in the boat or a big fish on I just hit the anchor lock button and I do not have to worry at all where the boat is going to end up, it stays right where I hit the button (well within 10ft I should say). When my children catch the fish and I want to take pictures.....anchor lock and no worries :D

If you have (or like) to move around in your boat at all while fishing then electric steer is the only way to go. I also have i-pilot and love this feature also.

Well I have a cable steer and my buddy has pd steer and i prefer the cable only because the pd steer tends to over steer and I constantly have to steer back. With the cable steer it stops where I want it to. This over steer could be operator error?

Got mine hooked up friday and have over 30 hrs on it already. I can agree with the oversteer but other than that i love it. I had a few cable models and would get bad leg cramps after a while. 11 hrs on the water yesterday an felt good.

Well i had a problem with deploying mine this morning so i reached down straight arm and hit it too hard and spraigned my elbow. Hurts like heck! At least it wasnt my casting arm!

Latest posts