Powering your home during power outages

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crazyboat

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
This last hurricane got me thinking, a very dangerous thing. Where I live, I'm very fortunate to never have lost power more than 24 hours and we rarely loss power at all. But there are millions that routinely lose power for days on end. In a widespread black out it's even hard getting gas to refill your generator, so conserving fuel is a key factor. Which leads me to this. Assuming money isn't a factor, it would be wise to buy a battery backup system, large enough to power the refrigerator, the internet, charge laptops and phones a box fan and a few lights for 12 -14 hours. Then you crank up the generator twice a day for an hour or two to recharge the battery pack. Of course, you can add a solar panel or two during sunny days to help power things. This way you have round the clock power and you burn far less fuel then if you ran the generator 24/7.

I'm not the smartest man, so feel free to shoot holes in this plan/idea.

What n we built our home back in 1999 we gave serious consideration to a backup generator. After much research we decided not to go that way due to the location of our home. However the research did lead us to propane powered generators as they are far more efficient and a 500 gallon propane tank will run a really long time. We already have propane for our home heating so it was a no brainer for us. We are fortunate to live in an area where power can be drawn from three different directions so power is rarely out for more than a few minutes before automated switching changes where the power is drawn from.

While it sounds like a great idea, and actually is for a survival situation, one would need a good-sized battery bank to power things like a fridge or A/C or furnace. Motor loads burn up a lot of power, thus batteries would get drained pretty fast.

You have to do the math calculations to see it, but generally, power in has to equal power out. Example; If a fridge requires 1500 watts/hr at 120 volts for 10 hrs, then it needs 15,000 watts total. You will need a battery bank that can supply that wattage, while still maintaining it's voltage at something greater than 12 VDC. Add to this the intrinsic losses converting that 12VDC into 120 VAC through an inverter, and you need to add a "fudge factor" to the total. Since power in watts, divided by volts equals amps, then 1500/12 = 125, then you need a battery bank that can supply 125 amps per hour in order to power that fridge for just 1 hour. Now, if you need to run it for 10 hours, then it becomes a daunting task to expect that bank to supply that for ten hours. Realistically, the fridge compressor won't be running the whole time, so the numbers I just gave are more than actually required.

From a purely practical viewpoint, the gas or propane powered generator is THE way to go, and you don't truly NEED one much larger than about 5000 watts. That will supply your house with about 20 amps at 240 VAC, and if you're judicious with what you attempt to run, then survival mode is quite attainable. There was a time when I lost power for three days, and I lost a BUNCH of food. (At the time, I was powering two fridges and two freezers, plus needing a furnace and minimal lighting.) I got myself a 6.5K generator and never looked back. I have lost power since then, and unplugged a fridge and freezer for a day, then alternated between the pairs to maintain temps.

My recommendation would be a propane generator, as a gasoline or even diesel one has to have a standing fuel supply, and both gas and diesel gets stale, can dry up out of the carb (long term), thus requiring one to service the generator not less than every year. It would also be quite wise to start and run the house on that generator not less than every 6 months.

Now, I'm not saying a solar system and good-sized battery bank won't work, but one will have to plan it out well, and one would still need a small standby generator for those times when it might be cloudy for a week, in order to charge your battery bank. (Like during and after a hurricane.)

BTW.....forget the laptops, TV and internet during those times. Even that miniscule amount can add up, and there's very little that you really NEED to look at online that will help you survive an emergency situation. The phones I'll concede, a fridge, a furnace, a few lights, and that's about it. You don't need to run the A/C....draw a cool bath or shower of you need to cool down. If you have DETACHED garage, run the generator in there, back-feeding through the garage's electrical system. That way, you can lock the garage up and maintain some modicum of security for your generator. (Yes, your neighbors will steal your stuff in an emergency situation.)

Roger

A hybrid house! It should work fine.
My parents have a NG whole house generator. I have a 12,000-watt portable generator. It has a 7-gallon gas tank but I'm building an 18-gallon gravity feed auxiliary gas tank on a stand. Just in case I need to run it for a long time. My weather extremes are tornadoes and winter weather. If a tornado takes out the power lines, I can go a few miles over and find a open gas station. In winter it's harder to get out but gas stations should be open.

What n we built our home back in 1999 we gave serious consideration to a backup generator. After much research we decided not to go that way due to the location of our home. However the research did lead us to propane powered generators as they are far more efficient and a 500 gallon propane tank will run a really long time. We already have propane for our home heating so it was a no brainer for us. We are fortunate to live in an area where power can be drawn from three different directions so power is rarely out for more than a few minutes before automated switching changes where the power is drawn from.
If I ever move to Florida, I want a home with natural gas, so I can run a generator without ever worrying.

While it sounds like a great idea, and actually is for a survival situation, one would need a good-sized battery bank to power things like a fridge or A/C or furnace. Motor loads burn up a lot of power, thus batteries would get drained pretty fast.

You have to do the math calculations to see it, but generally, power in has to equal power out. Example; If a fridge requires 1500 watts/hr at 120 volts for 10 hrs, then it needs 15,000 watts total. You will need a battery bank that can supply that wattage, while still maintaining it's voltage at something greater than 12 VDC. Add to this the intrinsic losses converting that 12VDC into 120 VAC through an inverter, and you need to add a "fudge factor" to the total. Since power in watts, divided by volts equals amps, then 1500/12 = 125, then you need a battery bank that can supply 125 amps per hour in order to power that fridge for just 1 hour. Now, if you need to run it for 10 hours, then it becomes a daunting task to expect that bank to supply that for ten hours. Realistically, the fridge compressor won't be running the whole time, so the numbers I just gave are more than actually required.

From a purely practical viewpoint, the gas or propane powered generator is THE way to go, and you don't truly NEED one much larger than about 5000 watts. That will supply your house with about 20 amps at 240 VAC, and if you're judicious with what you attempt to run, then survival mode is quite attainable. There was a time when I lost power for three days, and I lost a BUNCH of food. (At the time, I was powering two fridges and two freezers, plus needing a furnace and minimal lighting.) I got myself a 6.5K generator and never looked back. I have lost power since then, and unplugged a fridge and freezer for a day, then alternated between the pairs to maintain temps.

My recommendation would be a propane generator, as a gasoline or even diesel one has to have a standing fuel supply, and both gas and diesel gets stale, can dry up out of the carb (long term), thus requiring one to service the generator not less than every year. It would also be quite wise to start and run the house on that generator not less than every 6 months.

Now, I'm not saying a solar system and good-sized battery bank won't work, but one will have to plan it out well, and one would still need a small standby generator for those times when it might be cloudy for a week, in order to charge your battery bank. (Like during and after a hurricane.)

BTW.....forget the laptops, TV and internet during those times. Even that miniscule amount can add up, and there's very little that you really NEED to look at online that will help you survive an emergency situation. The phones I'll concede, a fridge, a furnace, a few lights, and that's about it. You don't need to run the A/C....draw a cool bath or shower of you need to cool down. If you have DETACHED garage, run the generator in there, back-feeding through the garage's electrical system. That way, you can lock the garage up and maintain some modicum of security for your generator. (Yes, your neighbors will steal your stuff in an emergency situation.)

Roger
A fridge doesn't run around the clock. It kicks on, runs for 10-15 minutes and shuts down until the temp goes up, much like the heater in your house. I saw a chart and a typical fridge runs about 20 minutes an hour. So that 15K number which is high imo gets cut to 5k straight away. No way I'd want to run AC on batteries as like you said, the draw would be great. It's why I used the example of box fans to keep cool.

A hybrid house! It should work fine.
My parents have a NG whole house generator. I have a 12,000-watt portable generator. It has a 7-gallon gas tank but I'm building an 18-gallon gravity feed auxiliary gas tank on a stand. Just in case I need to run it for a long time. My weather extremes are tornadoes and winter weather. If a tornado takes out the power lines, I can go a few miles over and find a open gas station. In winter it's harder to get out but gas stations should be open.
As I mention in the other post/response I like the idea of a NG generator. The propane option is a nice one too as long as your tank isn't low when the storm hits. That 12K watt generator must drink some fuel, but you'll live in comfort for sure.

As I mention in the other post/response I like the idea of a NG generator. The propane option is a nice one too as long as your tank isn't low when the storm hits. That 12K watt generator must drink some fuel, but you'll live in comfort for sure.
We have about 11 hours on the Hobbs meter over 3 uses. It has 30- and 50-amp outlets and can run the AC if needed. Still need to set it up to back feed the panel.

There are some YouTube videos on converting your AC to a Soft Start. That could help smaller generators run the AC.

When I first moved to Washington there was a huge ice and wind storm in the Pacific Northwest. Power was out in several states. Being in a rural area our house had no power for three weeks and intermittent power for another six weeks.

I installed a 240V outlet at the panel, shut off the main breakers and back fed the house with a 6kW generator. It wasn’t ideal but we could run the fridge, a few lights and watch TV. Fortunately the furnace was propane.

I had similar incidents at my remote log cabin in California. No power for two weeks.

Funny that this topic came up. The power is out right now. I’m went out for a bourbon and a sandwich. Cheers!