Question about corrosion

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kylerprochaska

Reaction score
So Im starting on my 1967 sea king 14' v-bottom build. First step is painting, so she's flipped in my garage at the moment. I've started to sand her hull down and I've come across some minor corrosion in a few spots next to the keel. Most of the pits are rather shallow but there are a few deeper ones. I'd like to keep them from growing any bigger, but Im not totally sure how I should attempt that. Are there any fillers (bondo??) that I could apply to the pits? I plan on roll/tip painting it with Rustoleum topside in gloss white.

i just found some corrosion issues on mine too... my case it is the bow seat thst was foam filled...the foam was waterlogged...i have about 10 or more holes ranging from pin holes to pea sized... im still deciding what to do... i was actually gonna start a thread when i found yours... maybe we can just piggy back?? or i can start a new one...

im a fabricator by trade...(not set up to weld aluminum at home tho) so my first instinct and what im pretty sure ill do is drill the holes bigger with a drill bit and take it and have them welded up, and then just grind/sand them smooth....its not hard at all to fill holes...i have a couple other things i want done at the welding shop so i was already planning to bring my boat to them...

my plan "b" would be to epoxy some aluminum plate down on the inside, and fill the holes with jb weld from the outside and sand flush, then prime and paint.... not sure if this is feasible or not...but if i didnt have access to a welder, id certainly try it... here in south louisiana theres always an aluminum welding shop close by..

Latest posts