Question about transducer mounting.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wwcenturion

Reaction score
OK, don't get angry here. I did search through the forum before asking this. I posted the question in my mod but nobody replied so I thought I would post it as a new post.

I don't need advise (yet) on mounting location and angle, I have read the instruction manual that came with my FF and I think I can do that part correctly. However, what I do want to know is what everyone did to seal the mounting holes so the transducer mount never leaks?

I don't want to use a transducer mounting plate, I just want to mount it directly to the boat per instructions that came with the FF. I understand I am rolling the dice with this but I would rather take a chance on drilling two holes and getting it right rather than having to drill four holes for a mounting plate.

What did you guys use to seal the mount? Because I am going to be leaving my boat in the water for most of the summer, I don't want something that is going to leak unexpectedly. I have clear silicone sealant and JB Weld, is there something else I need to get? 5200 perhaps?

Can someone give me instructions either on this post or on page two of my mod I would be very grateful.

Attachments

• cwr13908-400x400.gif
    cwr13908-400x400.gif
    39.1 KB · Views: 1,101
  • Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    40.6 KB · Views: 1,101
  • WideOneHundred.pdf
    373.7 KB · Views: 26
EVERY post I have read says that 5200 is the way to go. I ordered some, and its what ill be using.

Thanks for responding rat. Where do I put the 5200? In the screw holes before inserting the screws, afterwards? Also, do I apply it liberally to the inside of the hull where the screws will protrude? Should I even use screws, or bolts? What about washers?

Thanks again brother.

I have mounted several transducers over the years exactly the way you are planning to do it with no problems. The only concern I had was that in all of the tins that I have owned the thick part of the transom ended a couple of inches above where I needed to screw the transducer mount in which meant that there was just the thickness of the aluminum holding the screws in. I always used Marine silicone to seal. I never had a problem, but it always concerned me.

On my current 1648 I cut down a cutting board from Wally World, attached with silicone and a SS screw into the thicker part of the transom. The transducer and wire clamp are fastened with short SS screws that don't go clear through the cutting board.

The positioning of this transducer was very fussy and I had to move it. The board prevented me from having to drill more holes in the hull.

Good Luck :LOL2:

Attachments

• 053113.jpg
    053113.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 1,084
  • Trans 1.jpg
    Trans 1.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 1,084
[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=318620#p318620 said:
wwcenturion » 16 minutes ago[/url]"]Thanks for responding rat. Where do I put the 5200? In the screw holes before inserting the screws, afterwards? Also, do I apply it liberally to the inside of the hull where the screws will protrude? Should I even use screws, or bolts? What about washers?

Thanks again brother.

When I have done it that way I put the sealant on the screws and under the mount and inside the hull where the screws protruded.

I would use nuts and bolts if it will protrude on the inside. Put the 5200 in the holes and around the underside of the bolt head. Then some around the bolt on the inside of the bolt before putting a washer and nut on it. Leave no room fro water penitration.

Thanks for everyone's advice and opinions (especially the pics gillhunter!).

I know for sure I will get some 5200 before trying to mount. Now my decision is if I want to use the wife's cutting board or mount directly. And, if I do mount directly, should I use screws or bolts.

We have one suggestion for using bolts and sealing everything up (thanks FSNMachine). Anyone else suggest the same? It's not my intentions to start a debate, just want other's experiences on what has worked and what hasn't.

I would go with the mounting board, even without the 5200 a mounting board acts as seal against leaks. The 5200 is a safety factor.

I had rectangular aluminum tubing welded to my transom that I have my 2 transducers mounted to. No holes in the boat and plenty of room to locate the brackets as needed.

Latest posts