Question about using PVC instead of plywood for transom...

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If your transom can be that thick then yes all you'll need to do is coat the LVL with spar urethance and put it in. Also make sure that your motor brackets will accomodate that thick of a transom as well.

Sorry, I guess I should have included that but the transom I tore out was 3 layers of 3/4 inch plywood (yes 2-1/4). So I think it will accommodate 1-3/4.

I am sure it was not sent from the factory like that.

2-1/4" would be a heck of a stout transom especially for a 25 horse. Heck you could even add 1/4 aluminum plate to that LVL and still have room to spare!!

Lol, I know. According to the previous owner the boat is rated for 60 hp. It has 3 knee braces on the transom, but things look kind or rough back there right now. I am lucky to have a father who has 30+ years welding and working aluminum, so we will be beefing it back up a little.

Thanks for all the help.

delaney said:
Lol, I know. According to the previous owner the boat is rated for 60 hp. It has 3 knee braces on the transom, but things look kind or rough back there right now. I am lucky to have a father who has 30+ years welding and working aluminum, so we will be beefing it back up a little.

Thanks for all the help.

You should post pics of your work, I'd be interested to see it.

Latest posts