Question about Weldbilt boats

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oomph

Reaction score
I'll be purchasing a new Jon Boat later this summer. I currently have an Alumcraft 1436L, which is great for fishing small lakes and ponds etc. However, it's a little small when you start bringing gear and try to fish with 3 people.

Although I normally only fish with one other person. I want a boat that I can comfortably fish out of with 3 people. Which is leaning me towards purchasing a new boat. I normally fish Fountainhead Reservoir in Northern, VA, but I also fish a few spots in the Potomac.

I like the fact that I can order the Weldbilt with my desired layout etc.

This is the layout that I am considering:
https://www.backwoodslanding.com/16ftlink24699.html
I like the fact that it's nice and wide and I can opt to not use the center seat when I need the floor space.

Does anyone on this forum own a Weldbilt with the solid side panels? and a similar layout?
What are you alls thoughts on the Weldbilt vs the Alumacraft 1648 NCS . Price isn't as much of an issue between the two for me as much as function and quality.

I am trying to determine whether or not I should go with the solid side vs the exposed ribs. Does it take lots of space away?

My Lowe 1652 has the solid sides and I guess it cleans up the look, but you do lose some space between the ribs. I was standing along the side fishing the other night and kept hitting my toes on the side. It made me think that without them, I could get a little closer to the side of the boat to reach into the water. I guess it's extra weight, extra cost and if the appearance doesn't matter, you probably don't need it.

Only reason I wouldn't get solid sides is where would you run electrical wires? I assume you will have a trolling motor, lights and FF front.

i own a 1648 mv 100 gage weldbilt. 30 hp tohatsu efi ptt. i will try my best to ansewr ur questions. go with the 1652, wider is better. 100 gage, thicfker is better. side panels take up little room, i carpeted mine and screwed velcfro straps on to lash equipment down. i have had boats with the rear bench seats, i opted for the split so i could have storage. i have a piece of plywood that straddles the seats and fits in between when under way. it has a seat base so i can run my tiller from the side. i did not gat a console they take up too much room. the front storage deck on my boat has a plastic lid, metal is better. u can put ur trolling battery in there. mine is wired for lites rarely use them. the lite package came with a pwr outlet useful. i had a tm mount put on the front. 55# foot operated, my deck is a little small, i might go to a hand operated when this one gives out. my 30hp will push it up to 29mph with 2 guys. the 6 gallon tank took up too much room so i got a 3 gal tank. use very little gas. have a remote ptt switch, it is needed. i just installed eve foam mats on the floor nice and soft. am pondering how to put them on the front deck. i ran my fishfinder wires down the gunnel in a conduit. ask away. i bought my boat at backwoods landing in al. i really should have got the 1652. trailer is good. painted with led lites and safety chain. have had it for 3 summers now. good luck

Hipster,

Would you mind posting a pic link of your boat?

I do plan to buy the 1652 and use a 25 or 30 HP motor on it. Like Dr. Nip mentioned, I was concerned about running wiring for my navigation lights. I'll likely order mine with the rear seat bench and the Rear Deck Hatch. I like having the open space in the middle and the option to insert a middle seat pedestal if I want a 3rd person on the boat. Normally it's just me and one other person and maybe one of my dogs on the boat.

If you do get sides I guess you could run it through some plastic conduit, screw it down and paint it. Maybe run the pipe at the bottom where it meets the side. You are definitely thinking right with the 1652 though.

One of the things I hated about WeldBilt is the ribs. They have them. They are about 5" tall, IIRC. With a floor, you lose 5" of boat, which moves the center of gravity upward, which can affect stability. Actually that is a major turn off for me since I was comparing them to others, specifically war eagle, which had shorter ribs and a better fit/finish. Also WeldBilt-double check the capacity tag. Some of them are commercial boats which do not carry a horsepower rating or a weight rating; and that can come into play when registering the boat in some states. Also the commercial rated boats don't have any floatation. So if you're in an oops situation, the boat just goes to the bottom. An NMMA certified boat will float level when it's completely full of water, or at least they're supposed to. So there's a couple considerations.

I haven't looked that closely, but it would be good to check the attachment mechanism for the solid sides. If they are welded to the side ribs, if you planned to add wires later, you're back to cutting welds and either re-welding it or riveting it. I am not certain if WeldBilt runs their wires in the gunwale channel or not. I don't think so but I could be wrong.

weldbilts horse power and weight ratings.

https://cdn-6.psndealer.com/e2/dealersite/images/sportsmarinesuperstore/vp3772797_8_large.jpg

get the lite and battery package. tm wired to the front hatch and a plug up front. u can have ur ff mounted, they will sell u one and install. i originally thought of mounting rodholders on the sides but there is only 6 1/2 ft between seats. u could put tubes into the front storage area and accomplish this. offset ur floor bases to one side. easier to fish and run. u dont have to offset them much. the backwoods landing facebook page has pics of my boat. scroll down it is from monroe ga. i would consider having these people do ur installations. then u can just ponder the flooring and other stuff. ponder a hand control bow mount. let me know what u do. they are easy to work with. i got my boat in exactly 8 weeks

Anyone own a tunnel hull by Weldbilt?
If so, about how shallow are you able to run the boat?

I fish out at Mattawoman Creek in MD sometimes and some spots can get around a foot deep. I manage to get my 14 footer in there and just tilt the prop up as needed and push pole around, which really isn't too bad since you tend to run really slow in those nice fishing holes. I'm afraid an outboard jet would get clogged too easily with all the lily pads and hydrilla around there.

Latest posts