Recent work on my WeldCraft 1870

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those folding seats are fantastic! Are they sturdy when standing on them in their stowed positions?

Byrdmen said:
My 1870 has to fill several roles, my fishing boat and the family boat/ski/wake boat. When the whole family is on board, we run out of room and seats. Looking at bigger boats I have always like the flip up seats like G3, Xpress, and others use behind the leaning post.

Still don't see why no one makes these to retrofit into older boats.

I emailed several fabricators and heard back from Dawson at FishOn Fabrications in Cartersville, GA. He quickly emailed me a sketch of what he proposed, very similar to what he made.

I ordered cushions from he local G3 dealer. They cost about $330 for the cushions, after I wrote the check ordering them I heard back from the Excel dealer who quoted me about $275 for thicker cushions. After receiving the cushions from G3 I was happy with the quality and the starboard backing.

I sent the cushions and a few other parts to Dawson and a couple of weeks later he sent me two of these:

Installed but not painted yet

Still need to finish mounting them, sand the edges, and paint.

I've just recently started a tin project and looked up and down for seats just like this with no luck!!!!! They are awesome!!!! I might try and contact them about this exact idea.

Seats are as solid as standing on the surrounding deck. In all honesty, I copied G3's design with the starboard blocks which provides a solid base for the seat backs to close on.

Give Dawson a call/email at FishOn Fabrications. If you decide to make a set, try your local Excel boat dealer for a set of cushions. Also keep an eye on Great Lakes Skipper for a set MUCH cheaper. You will have to buy the cushions first and the bases are made to fit the cushions.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Byrdmen said:
I sent the cushions and a few other parts to Dawson and a couple of weeks later he sent me two of these:

Installed but not painted yet

Still need to finish mounting them, sand the edges, and paint.

Dawsons work is second to none. I've used him in the past and was extremely satisfied with his work.

Hey OP, I just got my hatch from R&R Designs! How did you install? SS sheet metal screws, or SS machine screws and a nut?

I'm going to order another hatch for my front seat also! These people do some nice work.

CMOS

Really nice fab work and concepts. I'm sure I will borrow some of your ideas for my boat. Thanks again for sharing.
Rob

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

CMOS said:
Hey OP, I just got my hatch from R&R Designs! How did you install? SS sheet metal screws, or SS machine screws and a nut?

I'm going to order another hatch for my front seat also! These people do some nice work.

CMOS

Couldn't be happier with R&R work.

I cut the rectangle first and set the hatch in place. Each mounting screw hole is only partially drilled which centers your drill to drill out the hatch and deck. I then removed the hatch and tapped each hole, sorry I can't remember the screw size, I'll look at my tap when I get home Friday.

I then assembled with stainless hardware and TefGel to prevent corrosion. The glovebox is through bolted with SS locknuts and plastic spacers to prevent corrosion.

Okay, I see. I don't have enough metal depth to do a drill & tap so I'll have to use SS machine screws, a LW, and nut.

Thanks,
CMOS

RiverBottomOutdoors said:
Flush mount seats are a thing of beauty.

Thanks, wish I could take the credit.

CMOS said:
Okay, I see. I don't have enough metal depth to do a drill & tap so I'll have to use SS machine screws, a LW, and nut.

Thanks,
CMOS

I think my deck and boat is 0.100" thick. I did only use this method on the front hatch which has gravity holding it in and the screws just keep it from rattling. You can't go wrong through bolting it though.

Latest posts