Redo: From Bass to Duck Alumacraft 1454

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jblood13

Reaction score
So after I finished my boat last year, which I never finished posting on my thread...fail on my part, I know. I have decided to redo my boat. The reasons for the rebuild is several; I found that I could not have more than two people on my boat (not good since I'm married and have two kids), I ended up not liking the layout, and most importantly I want to duck hunt from this boat!

This time around I will not be using wood in the boat, as the last time it got WAY to heavy, this will be an all aluminum build. This will be a learning experience for me and may not be a fast build. I would greatly appreciate any advice and input from you guys. I will start this off with some pictures to show what I am redoing.
Where I left off from:
image.jpeg
photo (1).JPG
photo (2).JPG
After some tear down:
image (2).jpeg
photo (4).JPG
The real fun begins:
image (3).jpeg
photo.JPG

More to come!

Good luck with the build. Looks like you've got it down to a clean slate.

Got started on the front deck. This was definitely an eye opener, it took a lot longer to get this far than I had expected but so far I am happy with the progress.
IMG_20130826_181842.jpg
IMG_20130826_181847.jpg

I did discover something though that I was not so happy about...The previous owner had just slapped another layer of plywood over the original transom which was completely rotted and decayed. I also cut out everything in the rear of the boat as well. Don't worry I will be putting some of it back in. I am taking the rear seat and pushing it all the way to the back of the boat instead of being 16 inches from the rear. I am debating if I want to use wood again for the transom or build an all metal transom. Any input on this?
IMG_20130826_181854.jpg
IMG_20130826_181902.jpg

Use wood. The boat will probably be long gone before it rots out. Properly treated, it won't rot in your lifetime.

Sorry not much progress except stripping the rest of the transom out and grinding down old rivets. Hopefully tomorrow I will make some good progress and get some more pictures put up.

Latest posts