Repair to aluminum gunwale

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CarlosC

Reaction score
I have 2023 15ft legend boat that has got some damage/scuffs on the gunwales due to anchor chain and from a bolt sticking out of a dock. Just wondering what would be the best way to repair this, I can just use paint but I’d like to get it a smooth a possible. Wound something like bondo work?

Attachments

• IMG_0107.jpeg
    IMG_0107.jpeg
    105.6 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0106.jpeg
    IMG_0106.jpeg
    83.2 KB · Views: 1
To me it looks like big scrapes/scratches as opposed to a dent. That is a good thing. Personally I would use some aluminum friendly epoxy putty as filler then touch up paint. I honestly don't know much about Bondo.

Fill and paint would be my choice, I don't see anything that isn't normal wear and tear on a fishing boat.
Personally, i never much worried about scratches and little bumps on my boats, its going to happen no matter what.
The only thing that would even remotely concern me is a puncture or deep gouge below the water line.

One place I fish is full of submerged pilings, it takes years to learn where they all are and even then on occasion you find a nail sticking out somewhere that leaves a permanent mark, and on occasion a tear.
I don't let it ruin the day, I carry some basic tools and some tape with me that can patch a hole in a pinch if I have to, if not, my boat has two bilge pumps.

Smooth it over with some JB Weld, sand smooth and touch up with some paint that matches or is at least dark enough not to stick out like a sore thumb. I have a buddy with a boat that's likely got a thousand JB Weld patches on it, he hits everything and his boat is rotting away out from under him in the saltwater here. It looks like a silve and gray dalmatian on the water its got so many spots filled in with epoxy.