Replacing clutchdog '72 Evinrude 18hp

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tripwirenh

Reaction score
I need to replace the clutchdog and have the repair manual, but was wondering if this would be a realistic fix for an amateur. I am handy with tools, but have never worked on my outboard. I know I have to reseal the lower unit when I'm done, and wasn't sure how difficult that is either.

Any tips would be great. Also, I found the part from twin city outboards for $68 new. If anybody knows a better price that would be great also. (forward gear costs $75 if I need it)

I had an 80' 25hp Johnson and I disassembled the lower unit and installed a seal kit with absolutely no knowledge or repair manual. It was fairly easy. I just went slow and laid everything out in the sequence I took it off.

I also completely disassembled a 90's 8hp Evinrude lower unit and replaced a gear and it was easy.

You can do it.
$68 sounds about as cheap as your going to get one unless something pops up on ebay. You might need a seal kit depending on the design of your lower unit.

like said before it aint as hard as it sounds. lay everything out in the same order you took it off, maybe snap some pics for assembly reference

you shouldnt have a problem, no special tools required

Thanks for all the quick responses, I'l probably take it apart next week. I'll snap some pics for others that may have to tackle a similar project. The place I'm buying the parts from need mine before they will send me new ones, so this may take a while.

I took apart the lower unit but couldn't get out the driveshaft. Anybody have any tips/clues? I believe it's supposed to pull right out.

Also, does anyone have experience with sierra seal kits? I got one off of Iboats to reseal the lower unit and wanted to make sure they were okay. (great deal at only $17 for all the seals)

Finally finished the job. All I did was flipped the clutchdog around. Now reverse is a little rough, but forward is back and kickin'. I didn't replace all the seals, so I'll have to keep an eye on the oil quality. A few of the seal needed a special tool that I didn't have. Anyway, took it out yesterday and it ran flawless.