Rods Rods Rods

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Basstrackertx17

Reaction score
Hello
My name is Mike, and I’m a Rodaholic.
Going on 30 years and I can’t stop.
I have over 25 fishing rods for various situations.
My reasoning is I HATE CHANGING LURES.
The situation changes immediately and it requires a different setup.
By the time you re-tie you have floated pass.
I have struggled with this for years.
A big problem is that my boat is not big enough.
I love my boat.
Anymore than 4 rods on the “deck” and I run out of room and get tangled up.
Been toying with this for many years.
So, I fabbed up a solution to ease my pain.

I built a stacked rod holder…

I can have 8 rods on it, 4 more in the vertical holders if I have a fishing partner for transport.
The cool feature is I can still access my rod locker under the unit where I store specialty rod setups.

Really pleased with the unit so far.
If it passes the water test, I’ll stain it with decking stain I have that’s a close match to
the carpet.

Rod slots

1692530949711.jpeg

Dual hinges

1692531060609.jpeg
Lower Deck

1692531125925.jpeg

Upper “Tier Lock”
1692531190039.jpeg

Top part folds vertical for access to lower bay.
1692531271736.jpeg

Access To Rod Locker
1692531377989.jpeg

1692531479928.jpeg
Takes up the same surface area.
Yea I know, might be not be everyone’s cup of tea but hey, if someone gets an idea or two,

Hello
I love my boat.

I can have 8 rods on it, 4 more in the vertical holders if I have a fishing partner for transport.
The cool feature is I can still access my rod locker under the unit where I store specialty rod setups.

If it passes the water test, I’ll stain it with decking stain I have that’s a close match to
the carpet.

Rod slots

View attachment 116292

Dual hinges

View attachment 116293
Lower Deck

View attachment 116294

Upper “Tier Lock”
View attachment 116295

View attachment 116296

Access To Rod Locker
View attachment 116297

View attachment 116298
Yea I know, might be not be everyone’s cup of tea but hey, if someone gets an idea or two,
Lookin good!!

Im beginning level rod-a-holic-I only have 14. lol. And for the exact same reason as you. I HATE having to retie.

I was thinking of mounting them vertically on the gunwale.

Lookin good!!

Im beginning level rod-a-holic-I only have 14. lol. And for the exact same reason as you. I HATE having to retie.

I was thinking of mounting them vertically on the gunwale.
To be honest I would think twice

1692567016212.jpeg
I have these on my boat also.
They seriously hinder my casting and I always have to be aware of my back cast. I use to hit them often.
Now I just use them to transport Rods of a fishing partner and put the rods down on the back deck when we get to the body of water.

To be honest I would think twice

View attachment 116332
I have these on my boat also.
They seriously hinder my casting and I always have to be aware of my back cast. I use to hit them often.
Now I just use them to transport Rods of a fishing partner and put the rods down on the back deck when we get to the body of water.
Hmmmm....interesting. Didn't think of that. Back to the drawing board! lol Thank you!

Your actually better off retying since after numerous casts the knots will weaken and could break, Adopt a more "simple" knot that may be faster to tie and learn how to do it quicker. The same goes for cutting the first 2 to 3 feet of line that is constantly at the tip and casting all day. I know it sounds like a lot of wasted line but if you think about it the line is the cheap part of the equation..... That personal best or state record fish is only ONE cast away, you need to be ready!!

Well you fellows are amazing............I use the same old beat up rod and reel I got for Christmas from my mom in 1968..........and the boat is a 1952 Alumacraft. all I imagine it has caught thousands of fish in it's time...........it's be re-wrapped and re-varnished, the cork handle is full of JB weld where the cork has deteriorated and the drag on the reel has been re-built.........reel sounds like a coffee grinder now with the slack in the brass gears but like me in my 70's...........it keeps on going...:))

Well you fellows are amazing............I use the same old beat up rod and reel I got for Christmas from my mom in 1968..........and the boat is a 1952 Alumacraft. all I imagine it has caught thousands of fish in it's time...........it's be re-wrapped and re-varnished, the cork handle is full of JB weld where the cork has deteriorated and the drag on the reel has been re-built.........reel sounds like a coffee grinder now with the slack in the brass gears but like me in my 70's...........it keeps on going...:))
I admire you’re dedication.
A friend of mine has done the same thing.
Rod is like 30 years old and has changed the line once???
He just snapped the tip off it for the third time.
it’s now over a foot shorter ,lol.
I told him time for another rod.
he said it fits better in his car..

:)

I admire you’re dedication.
A friend of mine has done the same thing.
Rod is like 30 years old and has changed the line once???
He just snapped the tip off it for the third time.
it’s now over a foot shorter ,lol.
I told him time for another rod.
he said it fits better in his car..

:)
I understand him completely. We have a lot of memories in our tackle. I don't believe 2 boats would hold all the fish it's caught over the years. I wouldn't think of going fishing without mine. When the day is over I back off the drag and wipe the rod and reel down with a little wd-40 and take the side plate off about once a year, clean it out and repack it with wheel bearing grease.

Hello
I love my boat.

the carpet.

Rod slots

View attachment 116292

Dual hinges

View attachment 116293
Lower Deck

View attachment 116294

Upper “Tier Lock”
View attachment 116295

View attachment 116296

Access To Rod Locker
View attachment 116297

View attachment 116298
Don’t feel bad. I have so many fly rods, reel and lines that I had to create a spreadsheet that lists them and what works well together. Fly line isn’t exactly cheap and after buying some duplicates I decided to organize the mess. There were a few duplicate reels as well.

I may be recovering, haven’t bought any rods or lines this year.

Don’t feel bad. I have so many fly rods, reel and lines that I had to create a spreadsheet that lists them and what works well together. Fly line isn’t exactly cheap and after buying some duplicates I decided to organize the mess. There were a few duplicate reels as well.

Nice to meet another fly fisherman.............not many down here in lower Florida where I am........

Attachments

• IMG_1480.jpg
    IMG_1480.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 1

I have duplicate lures stored in various boxes.
I haven’t quite gotten to the point of inventory paperwork yet.
I know I have the stuff.
my only problem is deciding which tackle box to put my homemade lures.
I had to buy a new reel for the ultralight. After 20 years she was a bit worn.1692781820266.jpeg

If I don’t buy something for me I go with a friend and pick stuff out for him and he pays.
So, it’s kinda like I’m buying equipment but, legally I’m innocent. Lol.

I have duplicate lures stored in various boxes.
I haven’t quite gotten to the point of inventory paperwork yet.
I know I have the stuff.
my only problem is deciding which tackle box to put my homemade lures.
I had to buy a new reel for the ultralight. After 20 years she was a bit worn.View attachment 116362

If I don’t buy something for me I go with a friend and pick stuff out for him and he pays.
So, it’s kinda like I’m buying equipment but, legally I’m innocent. Lol.
If you find yourself in need of a "re-build" on a reel, virtually any or all of the bearings can be had through www.bocabearings.com so re-build, don't replace!! They have been most helpful with numerous of my old reels.

My son and I have quite the St Croix collection going, with a few other brands thrown in. But, I think there has been only one new purchase in the last 3 years (gift card). I guess I'm slowing down in retirement. ;)

We fish very familiar waters, and these days we can limit ourselves to 3-4 rods each, along with limiting the tackle. We usually have back-up in the SUV, though.

I hope you project works well for you. It looks nice!