Sealing a leaky livewell??

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big Aug

Reaction score
The live well under my seat does not hold water -- I believe there is an separation or gap in the aluminum somewhere, but not sure where. If it's a rivet, how can I seal it from the topside? Can I caulk it effectively? Is there a better way?

Attachments

• IMAG0880.jpg
    IMAG0880.jpg
    198.3 KB · Views: 776
I put caulk on my riveted live well and it stopped the leaks in mine. I got some clear caulk at the marine shop.

Thanks Earl. The light under the livewell in the dark is just the kind of solution I was looking for. What if I can't pinpoint it that way - any other ideas?

I posted this in another thread about a little different topic, but i had your same issue and tried to fix it with a couple of cans of flex seal with no luck. Not a solution but just wanted to help you avoid having to scrape that stuff out like I did.

Often, the leak in livewells is around the TOP of the livewell. Often, there is NO sealant there.

So you either have to stick your head in and look UP at the perimeter, or use a mirror.

This is a trade-secret, I usually don't tell this, as I make money from fixing boats. The trick to fixing the problem, is cutting the correct size tip hole in the tube of sealant, and making sure the area is really CLEAN, before applying the sealant. 5200 is very permanent, but pure silicone works well, too, if the area is clean and you know how to tool it.

-TH

Latest posts