Shifter Handle

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

River Rider

Reaction score
I am trying to make it a little easier to run my motor in tight situations. Meaning I want to be able to shift it without always having to turn around to shift the lever on the side of the cowl. It is a 1985 30 horse evinrude, and I was looking to see if there was a way to make a shifter a little more convienent. Or if anyone has some ideas on this. I thought I had seen some people with a paddle type shifter on the front of their old motors making it a little more accessable. Any help, ideas, or pictures would be great. I am in the process of mocking up some other shifting options.

see if you can find bassboy1's boat mod... he made a longer extension handle on his but I don't remember how he did it. I think he screwed throught the shifter into a 1x2 piece of wood with aluminum plates on the bottom.. I'll look to see if I can find it - or if he made a post for it

russ010 said:
see if you can find bassboy1's boat mod... he made a longer extension handle on his but I don't remember how he did it. I think he screwed throught the shifter into a 1x2 piece of wood with aluminum plates on the bottom.. I'll look to see if I can find it - or if he made a post for it

Shoot, simpler than that. I merely picked a piece of 3/4 inch aluminum channel out of the scrap pile, and used the existing bolt that the previous owner had in place, as well as a stainless hose clamp, to secure it. Crude, but effective. It was another one of those temporary fixes that, because there was no reason to improve it, never got changed. I do have a piece of forged aluminum, that once was an Acura front end part, that would be a perfect shift handle, as it is smooth and rounded, with a balled top, and would snugly fit on the handle, with counter sunk machine screws. However, that is still sitting in the scrap pile.

trash.jpg

You still have to reach around the side of the motor, but it is much easier to grab up high, and being longer, it takes a little more distance to shift completely, eliminating the overshift from forward into reverse, then back to forward, then back to reverse before finding neutral.

You could make a bracket as I did for my 40 horse for a shifter.The round knob is the shifter.(push-pull)Than the shifter would be in front of the motor.

Attachments

• tiller 020.jpg
    tiller 020.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 517

Latest posts