simple front deck - how to frame?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I found an old fab shop close by, was just quoted $54 and some change for 1 x 1 x 1/8". not bad.

Let me finish that sentence, $54 for 50 ft of Aluminum L. 2 - 25' pieces

Very nice pics, man that place is nice

seems like you found a good buy, that's cheaper than mine and no shipping either!

Yeah it's like nothing else up here, but we pay for it all winter long! (all 7 maybe 8 months of it) With that much winter you have to be into winter sports to stay sane - Had an ice rink in the backyard last year for the kids, that was fun! But it's ice fishing and snow machining for me with some occasional cold weather hunts too.

Attachments

• _MG_5231.JPG
    _MG_5231.JPG
    20.7 KB · Views: 313
  • IMG_1930.JPG
    IMG_1930.JPG
    57.2 KB · Views: 314
  • IMG_1951.JPG
    IMG_1951.JPG
    76.8 KB · Views: 302
  • P1010071.JPG
    P1010071.JPG
    72.4 KB · Views: 312
  • Caribou 07-5.jpg
    Caribou 07-5.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 330
That old girl was 42.5 caught last summer...managed a 44" this summer that weighed 20lbs and I had a client catch a 49" right after I suggested that he put on a secret lure. All released to fight another day.

50* right now, overcast and rainy - perfect for moose hunting! Speaking of weather, I sure feel bad for the folks in Texas; what a storm. Thoughts and prayers... [-o<

Nice pics.....but too cold for me, lol ! You know, I've always referred to them tracked vehicles as snowmobiles, until I heard Palin say on tv the other night that they're snowmachines. We learn something new everyday :)

yep our governess has it right =D> =D> =D>

We call it that so we can tell who is from "outside" (another Alaskan term, like mainland in hawaii)

you can tell someone has spent time in the bush parts of Alaska if they refer to a snow machine as a sno-go. That's the common term in the villages.

ha! Yep that's the sprit! Although... :wink: I've known some people from areas other than yours that have used that phrase!

8)
thumbsup_smilie.gif

Well got it done, I'm happy so I guess that's all that matters!

I shortened it up to the first rib as I intended...it just took up to much floor space otherwise. Ended up doing the edge support by riviting angle to the side of the gunwale - it supports the ply on knife edge, not ideal but more than adequate in this case with the small spans involved.

rigging the vertical posts to the existing ply floor was more difficult, but I like my solution even if it's a little ways from perfect. Hard to explain, hopefully you can see it in the picture. I cut a small piece of angle and attached it to the floor oriented fore-aft. I simply riveted my vertical piece of angle to the piece on the floor with a single rivet so they could pivot to the proper angle. Once achieved I added a few more rivets to lock it down. It's plenty solid.

Decked it, added the vertical piece and carpeted all. Looks great, is the perfect function (life vests and anchor are all in there), and it's plenty strong and sturdy enough for my 200+lbs to take a couple foot step down off a river bank onto it with no problems.

Thanks for the tips, it all helped!

Attachments

• IMG_4047.JPG
    IMG_4047.JPG
    72 KB · Views: 593
  • IMG_4054.JPG
    IMG_4054.JPG
    66.4 KB · Views: 591
  • IMG_4067.JPG
    IMG_4067.JPG
    79.2 KB · Views: 583
  • IMG_4068.2.JPG
    IMG_4068.2.JPG
    87.9 KB · Views: 593
no more decking, just that bit up front to hide the plate reinforcing I had to do on the bow cracks. It still has to be utilitarian - hauling camping gear, moose, etc...just can't add the weight to do anymore and as narrow as the boat is (36" bottom) you wouldn't really want most of it decked...too tippy.

By the way - I had the boat up to 30mph going down river this past weekend - it's a fun little ride with that 50hp jet on it. :shock:

huh, I wonder why the old attached pics aren't showing up in the thread? They come up if I click, but the dreaded red x is all I see in the thread.

Anyway - I lucked into a new old boat -this one a 1648 so a little wider which is needed badly! It has a little console, but it's way too far forward and the motor is only a 45. I probably will move the console, find controls for my 50, and swap motors. Boat needs some welding where the bottom was ripped from the transom by boulders, but other than that I probably won't do much to this boat other than a floor and some rod holders! Sorry she won't be a very interesting conversion but I'm excited anyway!

Attachments

• IMG00004.2.JPG
    IMG00004.2.JPG
    44.8 KB · Views: 522

Latest posts