slow merc 20 hp

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andy 1

Reaction score
I am wondering if I should change props or adjust pitch, my motor is a late 80`s merc, it does not have much speed a good swimmer can pass me, not that bad but not good. I have tried different angles on the motor by adjusting the pin on the motor and no success. I have it on a 14.5 lund which is a very heavy boat for its size. Even by myself it`s speed is slow no difference when I have three adults in it. Any thoughts apart from going to a bigger motor. The boat is rated for 18 hp

thanks
andy

You need a tach to determine what you need to do to your setup. There are many small tachs made for temporary use. Tinytach is one that comes to mind. It wraps a wire around your spark plug wire, so once you get the info you need for your outboard, you can use it on any other motor.

bassboy1 said:
You need a tach to determine what you need to do to your setup. There are many small tachs made for temporary use. Tinytach is one that comes to mind. It wraps a wire around your spark plug wire, so once you get the info you need for your outboard, you can use it on any other motor.
Not to jack the thread, but what should the rpms be? My merc is also mid-late 80's, but a 25hp Maybe that info can help us both.

Latest posts