Spar urethan & help with carpet install

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smljaw

Reaction score
Me and a buddy bought a Tracker Topper 1436 last year. We've done quite a bit to it so far and now the front deck is framed up with 2X4s... The plan is to use untreated 3/4" plywood for the front deck platform. Rubber backed carpet has been purchased from Lowe's.

I've read on this site where lots of people heavily spar urethane (2-4 layers) the deck frame and deck surface prior to carpeting the deck surface. I've also read where some people do not spar urethane on untreated plywood before carpeting... ??? I'm looking for suggestions and some experienced opinions before taking this step.

Does carpet glue down well to plywood that has been treated with spar urethane? What are some of the advantages and disadvantages? Please give me some feedback.

Thanks!

It glued down great for me using SATIN spray can spar urarhane. Might want to stay away from the gloss stuff but not sure, that might also work fine

I urethaned all the pieces of my decks and the carpet glue has held great for several years so far. I'd also consider going for 1/2" ply for the deck, 3/4" might be overkill and add unneccessary weight to the bost, just a thought. Good luck.

Yeah if you build decent enough supports 1/2 inch ply is plenty and a lot lighter

Latest posts