Starcraft/Smokercraft original rod holder/storage

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tinbasher

Reaction score
Hi Ya'll,
I'm trying to restore a 1984 Smokercraft Voyager and the last thing I need are some replacement horizontal rod holders, and I'm having a tough time sourcing them.
Does anyone know what to search for an aftermarket part or if smokercraft/starcraft has a replacement parts department/email?
As far as I know, there are no local dealers for either in NJ, and at that point id just remove the brackets and move on

Pic attached of the inserts im looking for
-Mike

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-06-30 170728.png
    Screenshot 2024-06-30 170728.png
    334.6 KB · Views: 1
I made mine out of some scrap cut off teak deck boards (You could also use PVC decking boards )
The originals were made from Starboard and the got all cracked and brittle after only a few years. I've had the teak ones now for over 15 years.
I had two of the same model boat for a while, the rod holders were slightly different in each hull, mostly in the the base angle was different and the front holes on my original boat were not slotted.
Take some cardboard, (old cereal box will do), and make a template first to get the hull side angles correct. Then figure out the hole placement. I got the SS screws, Nylock nuts and washers from Jamestown Supply.

I did have some issues with the rod tips jumping out of the front holders. First I cut firm foam inserts to grip the rods and glued them in place but eventually just made short bungee loops to hold them in place while underway at higher speed.

Great suggestions, guys! I'll use some excess marine-grade plywood from the transom rebuild and make a pair of locking rod holders.
Appreciate the tips

Latest posts