Stripe / decal removal

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SMF said: I would think a wd-40 soaking, followed by a heat gun, followed by the razor blade is the hot ticket.
maybe WD-40 and a heat source should be recommended with an abundance of caution. (and a heap of common sense).

WD-40® aerosol is considered flammable for other reasons beyond flashpoint.
WD-40® does not have flashback, but can carry a flame forward, so it is categorized as flammable.

Guys, you are right, this is going to be a big job. 1st I tried the razor blade and heat gun method, sore fingers from pushing and wiggling the razor blade along with some hot finger tips at times. It was a slow process, so I decided to see about the eraser wheel, got one at a local paint shop, it's a slow go also and will take several wheels to remove all the vinyl. I think I'm gonna try to find the goo gone and see if that is any faster. I haven't been able to really work on it lately, been taking all my time on a rental house remodel.

Goo Gone is just naptha with a citrus scent. You might as well buy a quart of naptha from a home improvement store, or some Zippo fluid, and try that instead.

It cleans up many adhesives really well, but it won't penetrate vinyl. Worst case, you end up with an excellent solvent and degreaser that is safe to use on almost anything.

IMG_1549.JPGI piddled on the boat a while last week,made a bit of progress. I used both the heat gun and eraser wheel. I am planning to paint it afterwards.

Latest posts