Tarp and Wires

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SlimeTime said:
You're going to clamp the motor to the side of the hull, in the middle, and operate it from there?

ST

This is how I will set it up, not sure how it will work...

boat-sidemotor.jpg

I know most of you place it at the bow, but I can't stretch that far... I feel most secure/stable in the middle...

At this point I might just have to DEC the whole front so that I have a platform to work with... :)

I might have to keep the battery in the back if I am going to be seating in the front...

I think that is the difference, those of you who have rear engine can afford to play in the front, but
with no weight in the back, I can't be doing too much dancing in the bow section, specially with a V shape boat...

I've heard of people doing that before, but I always thought there would be some "torque" pulling the boat to the left/right (depending on the side mounted to), and may (not sure) find it a bit taxing to keep the boat running on a straight line if the wind picks up. Just my thoughts :wink:

I have to agree with WW, seems like a very inefficient method. By all means, give it a try....I'd be curious to see what you think, just don't think you'll like it. I think it'll also drain your battery quicker. It'd seem like trying to drive your car with the front wheels toed-out.... \ /

ST

Hand controlled....

I think what I can do is mounted dead on the center of the bow and extend the handle far enough that I can control it from my seat....

SVNET said:
Hand controlled....

I think what I can do is mounted dead on the center of the bow and extend the handle far enough that I can control it from my seat....
i would mount it on the stern and use a extension handle

dedawg1149 said:
i would mount it on the stern and use a extension handle

IF his TM doesn't have reverse, that'd be a real pain.
I've tried the TM next to the center bench.. What a mistake that was. Worked good pulling the boat sideways though.... LOL
So now I just leave it on the transom and set on the rear deck.

What about putting the battery in the front of the boat, and you sit in the rear bench? That would help balance out the weight and probably make you feel a little more stable while sitting in the rear of the boat. Just a thought....

Bubba said:
What about putting the battery in the front of the boat, and you sit in the rear bench? That would help balance out the weight and probably make you feel a little more stable while sitting in the rear of the boat. Just a thought....

With this idea is that everything started, but that requires to run wires from the transom to the bow, and then we got into what size wire is best and calculating amount of amps per feet, etc...

At this point I think that is what I am going to do, set the battery next to the middle bench and the best option is to buy a car battery jumper cables... Durable and plenty of amp/feet capable.

The ideal would be a flat jon boat, with a flat front and a deck in the front.

I will try different options to see what works....

6 gauge wire is probably best, depending on the length of the run. On the tarp, get a quality boat cover. Over time, you'll spend less on a boat cover than you will replacing tarps. Aurora will make a cover to fit.

I have my batteries in the middle bench as well - 1 on each side with stoarge in the center.

I used 4ga battery replacement cable from WalMart for $10. They are 6 feet long. Why don't you just put your Trolling motor in the back, and then make you an extension handle out of some PVC pipe? I've done this before and it works great. I steer while I'm standing in between the rear and middle bench in a 1236 jon boat, and I have no stability problems whatsoever.

You can use Tennis Racket grip tape to put on the extension handle... it's amazing what some products will do when you try them out.

These are the cables I got. I used red electrical tape to differentiate between the pos/neg.

I connected the cables with A LOT of electrical tape, but I used real thick electrical compounding tape underneath the colored. I ran the cable up the side walls behind the ribs, and then you can see the terminal connectors. I leave the ground hooked up, and just plug up the pos when I get in the water.

In the pictures, don't pay attention to the extension cable and the black wire in the floor of the boat - I'm charging the battery from today's use.

DSCF0264.jpg

DSCF0266.jpg

DSCF0267.jpg

DSCF0268.jpg

(and yea, I do play my classic rock on that radio while I fish.. and no it doesn't scare the fish off. I caught the 10lb'r listening to that stuff, and that's all that will play in my boat while I'm fishing)

Latest posts