The Boat Ramp

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rat

Reaction score
I sometimes think that pulling a boat through a turnaround and backing it in to the water down a ramp causes a drastic and sudden loss of IQ. Nothing is more enjoyable than sitting on the local dock next to a boat ramp on any given three day weekend. A few case studies:

We Forgot the Drain Plug
On a busy two lane ramp @ Lake Georgetown I witnessed this. A couple of guys roll into the turnaround, park, load stuff into the boat from the truck. One guy jumps in the boat, the other in the truck and down the ramp they go. After backing the trailer into the water the captain fired the old outboard up from the console, threw it in reverse...and didn't move an inch. He screamed at the driver to get lower in the water, still nothing doing. After a couple of more "GET LOWER!" the bumper of the truck was well under water by now. I guess the guy in the next lane felt sorry for them, and told them they would need to unstrap the boat from the trailer if they actually wanted to get out on the lake. So they puled the boat up, not off the ramp, just enough to unstrap it and discovered they hadn't installed the plug either. "It's a good thing we forgot to unstrap it Clyde, we didn't put the plug in! We wudda been sunk in the lake by now!". So they waited, on the ramp, until all the water had drained before actually launching.

Bulkhead Diving 101
Georgetown, same morning but a little later. A husband and wife (I am assuming) team arrived in a nice little bass and ski combo for a little lake cruising. The wife backs the boat into the water while the husband starts cranking the engine, it cranks but doesn't start. Husband goes the the stern of the boat to check fuel lines (I guess) but can't get the hatch open, it's locked. So he screams at the wife asking her where the key is to the locked hatch. To which she replies with the universal hand gesture of both hands palm up, shoulders shrugged, that is universally known by all Men to mean "Why the Hell are you asking me, that's your department dipstick?" Showing an inkling of intelligence he screams for her to pull off the ramp so they can get it all sorted out. However, like most men he tries to start the motor one more time as she pulls out of the water, and miraculously it starts! Now the motor is out of the water and running, he excitedly tells her to "STOP!" which, of course, she does. At which point inertia takes over (a body in motion tends to stay in motion unless acted upon by an outside force), the husband performs a nice half twist through the walk through window and headers right into a frame bulkhead. As soon as he reappears it is plainly obvious that he is having a bad day. Not because his engine is still running out of the water, but by the copious amounts of blood gushing from his split forehead. He does however have the presence of mind to kill the motor. Didn't need that key afterall...

Firefighting 101
Buchanan Dam. A solo boater backs his aging jon into the lake and can't seem to get the ol' motor to start after a very concerted effort. He whips the cowling off like an experienced mechanic and start fiddling with stuff. Pretty soon he pulls out what looks like a spray paint can lid, gingerly pours some fuel from his portable tank into it and then into the carburetor. As soon as he pulls the starter rope it ignites. Being the cool customer that he is he reaches for the fire extinguisher, pulls the pin, squeezes the trigger...and nothing happens, not even a puff. Frantic now he tries to pull the fuel line from the motor and the fuel line breaks off right at the clamp squirting a good amount of fuel into an already burning fuel fire! With the power head quickly turning into a chard mass of plastic wire insulation he tries to put the cowling on to smother the flames, the heat is so intense he can't get it put on correctly and abandons the attempt half way through, the cowling instantly starts to melt, then burn, billowing a nice cloud of black smoke. Seemingly abandoning all hope he jumps over the transom into the lake. What at first blush seems to be the order to abandon ship I quickly realize is another firefighting method. Jump in lake, splash water on burning fuel fire! Before he could make things worse though a friendly boater (probably out of concern for his own vessel) who had a working extinguisher helped douse the flames.

Trailering 101
Granger Lake. I was returning from a night of crappie fishing, tied up to the courtesy dock, when a nice new rig came pulling through the turnaround. It was a Nitro Bass boat with what looked like the delux package, pretty new rig. The solo boater unstrapped at the top, and started his way down the ramp. As soon his boat started down the incline (but not the truck yet) the trailer hitch came loose, boat trailer and all headed for the water! Since the boat was unstrapped it floated while the trailer headed to parts unknown. In shock the guy gets out and walks down to the water's edge, his trailer is nowhere in sight and his boat is drifting out towards the no wake buoys. I jump back in my jon to wrangle his Nitro for him, pull my snorkle kit from stowage and tell him that was the fastest boat launch I had ever seen! His reply was "Yea, been workin' on it for years..." I gathered up my anchor rope and dove to the trailer to tie it off, we pulled it up with his truck. The new trailer had a 2" hitch and he had a 1 7/8" ball, safety chains weren't hooked up, he only lives 5 miles away. We were the only two at the ramp except for the park ranger.

A Well Oiled Machine
A team of fishermen stop up top to unstrap the boat, put the plug in, and add the ice to the cooler. One guy backs the rig down, the other is in the boat, he primes the fuel line on the way down. As the trailer hit the water he tilts the motor down, by the time this is done the boat is floating free and the driver pulls the trailer out of the water. The guy in the boats cranks the motor and idles around the dock. The driver returns with his keys, jumps into the boat and they are gone in under two minutes. It's rare, but it does happen!

I've forgot my plug a time or two while duck hunting. It's funny, the water always seems to take longer to drain than it did to fill the boat in the first place.

haha thats great

im a victom of leaving the transom strap on one time. thank goodness nobody was there to witness the 10 gallons of water i got in the boat before pulling it back up

It's great here to sit at the ramp on Memorial Day or Independence Day. Some of these folks seem to not put there boat in the water but on these days. Makes for a comical day. :mrgreen:

I made a full check list of everything I needed to do before launching my new boat (my first boat for that matter) for the first time. After reading it several times and making additions and rearranging the order of events, decided I had it down pat. I should've called Pat for help. I asked the wife if she wanted to go to Lake Michigan to do the Mercury recommended 1 hour break in with me. I figured she would a valuable asset when launching the boat because she could handle the dock lines.

At home before we departed for the lake I did a walk around of the boat and made sure everything was where I wanted it. Backed up and hooked up the trailer while my wife was in the truck. I started to drive away but heard a scraping/dragging noise. Got out and flipped up the jack and latched it. While I was there I connected the trailer lights that I had forgot to connect. The drive to the lake was uneventful and when we go to the ramps I stopped after lining up and handed my wife the bow dock line. Just as the boat was almost into the water she asked if I had put the plug in... Silly woman, I had a list and of course that was on the list. So I pulled forward and put the plug in. While I was there I took the transom saver off and raised the motor up. I backed the boat down until it floated and realized I couldn't get to the bow strap. I pulled forward and disconnected the strap and then, finally was able to launch. I parked the truck and went back to the boat. Hopped in the boat and went to start it. Walked back to the truck to get the key and returned to the boat. Brand new motor wouldn't start. Put the kill switch in the run position and the motor started right up. Quickly shut it off and lowered the motor into the water. Restarted it and let it warm up a bit. We released the dock lines and started to back away from the dock. Found out that my boat doesn't back up very well and steering an outboard boat backwards is different than a car. Any how, get got out to the lake and did the break in thing.

Docking the boat went fairly okay, in that I only slammed into it once and only hard enough to knock my wife off her feet. Good thing she was standing in the recessed cockpit area and she just ended up sitting down (albeit rather suddenly). Walked to the truck and drove back to the ramp and backed into the water without incident. it did take me 4 tries to get the boat centered on the trailer so the strakes fit between the bunk boards. Pulled the boat up out of the water to pull the plug and install the transom saver and straps. Found out that I have to tilt the motor up when I do that or the skeg drags on the concrete ramp.

Drove home and parked the trailer. Lower the jack and cranked up just high enough to clear the ball. Jumped in the truck and just as I was about to pull forward I looked in the side mirror and could see the trailer brake lights reflecting off my fence. Went back and unplugged the trailer lights and went to park my truck.

All in all it was a good trip with a little bit of a learning curve. The only thing that I occasionally do forget is to put that stupid jack up. I did learn which ramps I need to get the motor higher when loading and recovering the boat too.

I went to the lake yesterday and after I pulled my boat out I pulled off to the side to finish straping it down. There were two older couples that had a large sea ray that they were wanting to get in the water. The ladies were standing up top watching as the two guys were trying to get the boat off the trailer. Guy number two ties the rope to the back of the boat while the guy one gets in the truck. The boat is on a roller trailer and is sitting about 2.5 feet off the ground. Guy one in the truck starts to back down and has the trailer headed down the ramp but not the truck when guy number two says to stop the rope is too short. Guy one hits the breaks and the the boat unloads 10 feet from the water, but manages to slide down and get in the water all the way. At this point the rope comes out of guy twos hands and he has to run down and into the water to grab the bow of the boat so it does not drift away.

Some people just don't get it.

One ramp that I launch from has a very steep incline angle compared to the initial launch point. Once the trailer starts down you lose sight of it other than the tips of the four foot boat guides on the sides. I have seen people disconnect and walk their trailer down to to launch and retrieve the boat. Then they will back the tow vehicle down and reconnect the trailer to pull it back up. Its funny how many people do not realize that once the wheels are on the downhill slope the boat and trailer are going to be pulled downhill by gravity.
Another ramp that I launch is on the Ashley river. The tides control the current and they can be very strong crossing the ramp at ninety degrees. Launching is not too bad, but loading can be very difficult if you are alone. The current can flow up to around ten to fifteen knots. I had the current break one of my boat guides on the trailer one time it was flowing so fast. I usually try to launch and load there only at low and high tide when the current is slowed or stopped.