The little boat that thinks it is big.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcliff9

Reaction score
Hey all.
This would be my first post here. I bought an old 12' boat with trailer last year for $500. I started pondering on making the boat better. Most of the ideas I came up with came from this website so I thought it only fitting that I post the work here.

I started out with a simple idea of decking the front and putting seats in.

After months of searching, I finally happened upon a nice gentleman on Craigslist who had some boat seats that he was willing to part with. Site unseen I drove straight over to his place as I had searched for months and literally no one had any boat seats for sale. They turned out to be great seats and by pure dumb luck were red (which matches my red Ford F150).

After I had the seats, it sparked something that got the creative juices flowing, so I got to work.

I read on this forum that some folks had treated their own plywood to save money so that's what I did. I cut me out a front deck and a back bench cover and got to work. I treated the wood with a substance I found at home depot that is used for deck posts to keep them from rotting while in the ground. I made a door on the front deck so I could toss gear underneath and mounted it all with aluminum bolts and wingnuts for easy removal.

I took the boat out last summer and it worked great. It's a very small boat, but it works for what I use it for. We usually take it to a wakeless lake in Nebraska so the size wasn't much of an issue.

The boat has set in the garage for a few months until recently. My cousin found himself owning a Rhino-Lining machine and after a few beers, we decided it would be an awesome idea to Rhino-Line the boat so it would never leak, I could drag it across rocks with little worry, and I would never have to worry about scratches and dings again. So I ended up on this forum to find out if anyone else had done it. Some had Rhino-Lined the interior of the boat, but I couldn't find anyone who had done it on the outside. Some suggested that the texture from the rhino-lining would slow the boat down, but since I just putz around with a little trolling motor anyway, I didn't see that being much of a problem. Plus, Rhino-Liner can be put on with less texture, or no texture at all if you are careful.

So, we got to work. We stripped the boat down, filled small holes with JB Weld, straightened out the dents, and got everything sanded.
5474266497_596fb60e61.jpg

We used self etching aluminum primer that we got from the automotive store and gave it 3 coats.
5474862986_1ae942a590.jpg

We then painted a red stripe above the waterline ridge and Rhino-lined the rest.
5474266657_065701c095.jpg

5474266703_eb49c4eeae.jpg

5474266803_e97451981e.jpg

And here it is on the trailer with the decking in.

5474293261_2b467c09fd.jpg

I will post some pictures of the decking and the seats later, and get some pics of it on the water once the weather gets warmer.

There is quite a bit that I would still like to do. I am going to sand down and repaint the trailer and paint the inside of the boat. I want to put in a flat floor in the middle section. I would also like to extend from the back bench to the transom with two bins. One for stuff and the other for my trolling motor battery. I want to build in some cup and rod holders and have toyed with the idea of making outriggers (from an article I found on this forum) to stabilize the boat when I have a kid in it.

Let me know what you think and what other ideas you guys have that I should try out.

I still have a long way to go, but I wanted to post up some photos of the boat with the seats in.

5481472930_f73775e996.jpg

5480871883_222749742f.jpg

5481472780_f47327b19e.jpg

5480871723_f460444aae.jpg

Can you notice any difference with the rhino lining on the bottom as far as speed goes? I was think about doing the same thing with mine.

To be honest, it's a little wobbly. I'm not worried that I will tip, but it is still unnerving to some people. I saw a thread on making outriggers. I am entertaining that idea to stable it up a bit. Any thoughts?

As for the rhino-lining slowing the boat down, I haven't got it out on the water yet due to the weather. However, I don't think it will be a real issue for me. And if you decide to do it, just know that they can actually put the liner on smooth. They don't have to texture.

The weather is getting better so it is time to get this thing done so I can hit the lake.

I got my little 2HP Evinrude Mate painted and got some new decals for it.
5584525506_3de9dab1eb_z.jpg

I also got my back cubbies in and got the middle of the boat sorted with some spots to put some storage, pole holders, and a flat bottom.
5584525560_f12d013a09_z.jpg

5583935545_1ae8750b09_z.jpg

I threw my registration numbers on the front. I still need to get my trolling motor bracket welded to the bow, put in my cup holders, and do some electrical work and this thing is ready to hit the water. I will throw up some pictures and info from it's maiden voyage once it happens.

Just wanted to throw out a huge THANK YOU to everyone on this website. I wouldn't have done this without you.

Latest posts