Tongue hinge

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a factory installed one on my last trailer. It was strong and didn't make any noise. I did put a wire tie on the spring clip that holds the pin in place. I never folded the tongue because I didn't need too. I can't speak for the aftermarket ones.

I had a Tracker trailer with the folding tongue for 10 yrs, no issues at all. I've now got a Eagle trailer and no issues so far.

I'm in the process of putting one on my trailer. If you get the bolt on coupler, you need to drill 16 holes 1/2" for the bolts. But you really end up drilling 16 1/4" holes, then 16 3/8" holes then 16 1/2" holes and then cleaning them up with a round file. I went one hole at a time and put the bolt in to make sure it held the coupler in place. There are 2 little rubber bumpers that go between the 2 halves of the coupler so they probably help eliminate the potential noise. It's a heck of a workout drilling all the holes and you probably want to pick up some high quality drill bits.

I've found using Step Bits make great holes.
I thought the hardware for the hinge came with a self centering bit?

Mine worked great but you need to be aware that there are limitations on how far back you can place the hinge based on tongue weight.

mine is factory also . . . . just discovered the white ground wire for the lights
needs to connect to the back portion of your trailer.
The new hinge will not allow a circuit to complete itself through the joints.
So run the ground wire all the way to the lights - no problemo

Jus my dos centavos

My lights are working fine with the hinge but I just freshly installed it so that might help. I really like the hinged tongue, it gives me great room now to move around in the garage.