Towing with Smaller SUV

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mrs Ldubs always says she likes yellow cars! :D
Years back we bought a Mustang that was bright yellow, wife said it was so easy to see we should be safe....two weeks later we were in an accident ( minor thankfully) but the other guy told pilice he didn't see us !! Officer just rolled his eyes........

With the G3 and pontoon trailer, I needed to raise the hitch point to get the trailer level, so I went with a little longer one to allieviate the rear hatch clearance. It extends out about 2 1/2" further than the hitch I was using.

IMG_9269.jpg

With the G3 and pontoon trailer, I needed to raise the hitch point to get the trailer level, so I went with a little longer one to allieviate the rear hatch clearance. It extends out about 2 1/2" further than the hitch I was using.

View attachment 118977

Thanks. I noticed the "factory" hitch bar on the Pilot has the ball real close to the bumper. I would likely want to use a longer one, and turn it upside down from what you show. In fact I think I might have one sitting around somewhere in the garage that might be longer than the stock bar.

Thanks. I noticed the "factory" hitch bar on the Pilot has the ball real close to the bumper. I would likely want to use a longer one, and turn it upside down from what you show. In fact I think I might have one sitting around somewhere in the garage that might be longer than the stock bar.
Our first Highlander needed it to be flipped and ball higher than the receiver. Lower ground clearance than the 4Runner.

Our first Highlander needed it to be flipped and ball higher than the receiver. Lower ground clearance than the 4Runner.

I would need to do that for sure. The other issue I need to resolve is the departure angle. I need to back up a slight incline to park the boat. There is kind of a "hump" on one part. The Pilot's departure angle is 20.5%. I'm pretty sure I'm OK, but will check the ramp just to be on the safe side.

I have a number of different trailers rhat I tow and each has a different tow height. I bought one of the adjustable height hitches from Harbor Freight so it is easy to change hitch heght rather than carrying numerous bars. I also realized you need locking pins for each part as they are very popular !!

The oem hitches usually go through the plastic facia over the bumper. The aftermarket ones go underneigth that plastic and need a high-rise hitch.

Ldubs:

You'll be fine.

We have used my wife's Honda Pilot for 20 years to haul a slightly heavier rig than yours (18' Starcraft with 90), even up and down the mountains of New England. I'll guess 2000 lbs fully loaded with gear, 3 batteries and 17 gals of fuel. Have to admit, my Suburban did a better job of it. But still.

These days the Pilot mostly hauls a 16' Bass tracker package boat with a 50 Merc. Piece of cake.

As to passenger capacity, it may say capacity of 8, but a more realistic capacity is 4 adults and 4 munchkins. And on our two pilots over the years, the back seat looks backwards, which some people - maybe not kids - may have difficulty with (like dizziness when moving forward). Dunno about the new models.

Hope this helps.

Ldubs:

You'll be fine.

We have used my wife's Honda Pilot for 20 years to haul a slightly heavier rig than yours (18' Starcraft with 90), even up and down the mountains of New England. I'll guess 2000 lbs fully loaded with gear, 3 batteries and 17 gals of fuel. Have to admit, my Suburban did a better job of it. But still.

These days the Pilot mostly hauls a 16' Bass tracker package boat with a 50 Merc. Piece of cake.

As to passenger capacity, it may say capacity of 8, but a more realistic capacity is 4 adults and 4 munchkins. And on our two pilots over the years, the back seat looks backwards, which some people - maybe not kids - may have difficulty with (like dizziness when moving forward). Dunno about the new models.

Hope this helps.

Thanks. The seating capacity is aimed at exactly what you say. Four regular sized humans and four urchins. Actually right now it is three grandkids. But Mrs Ldubs says it is good to plan for a fourth just in case.

It does help. If and when I sell the RAM, I feel confident the Pilot will do the job towing my boat. Many thanks to you and everyone for the helpful feedback.

Well, got the hitch on the new Honda Pilot. Haven't got it wet yet, but did a decent test run pulling the boat. It did well. No struggle at all pulling the boat. No real noticeable squat from the tongue weight. Of course the suspension is softer than the RAM's so it feels different going down the road.

As of today this is my new tow vehicle and my son is the new owner of a well maintained RAM Laramie Ecodiesel. Driveway looks kind of empty. haha

Well, got the hitch on the new Honda Pilot. Haven't got it wet yet, but did a decent test run pulling the boat. It did well. No struggle at all pulling the boat. No real noticeable squat from the tongue weight. Of course the suspension is softer than the RAM's so it feels different going down the road.

As of today this is my new tow vehicle and my son is the new owner of a well maintained RAM Laramie Ecodiesel. Driveway looks kind of empty. haha
Nothing stopping you from "refilling" your driveway !!! Lol..