Trailer width question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillC

Reaction score
I ordered a Lowe 1648M Aura it comes with a LoadRite 16F1200WT trailer. The boat bottom width is 48 inches the trailer between the wheel wells is 49 inches. Most of the small lakes I fish have no maintenance dirt ramps. Hard to launch. I’m guessing that the trailer will be set up with the boat higher than the wheel wells. I’d like to keep the boat as low as possible. Do you think the trailer will work or should I upgrade to a wider trailer.Will it be worth the extra money?I plan on putting guide bunks on the trailer.

I ordered a Lowe 1648M Aura it comes with a LoadRite 16F1200WT trailer. The boat bottom width is 48 inches the trailer between the wheel wells is 49 inches. Most of the small lakes I fish have no maintenance dirt ramps. Hard to launch. I’m guessing that the trailer will be set up with the boat higher than the wheel wells. I’d like to keep the boat as low as possible. Do you think the trailer will work or should I upgrade to a wider trailer.Will it be worth the extra money?I plan on putting guide bunks on the trailer.

I have a similar situation with my current boat. It sits right above the fender height. I added wheel spacers to get a little more clearance. Knowing what I know now, even using side bunks, I wish I would have opted for a wider trailer. Just my two cents.

Thank you I currently have a heavy 15 foot vee that’s too much work for an old man to load back up in shallow water.Want to keep the boat as low as I can.

I launch in river systems quite often and the water gets low in summer and fall. Having the boat as low as possible on the trailer makes launch/retrieval a lot easier and keep from having to back in so far. Might be cheaper to swap wider axles on to current trailer and put new fenders on then look for a new trailer.

I have a Lowe 1652 and I just measured the trailer and it's around 56" between the fenders and it's a great fit. I think you want at least 3-4" wider with the trailer since you only get half of it on each side.

Here's mine right after I swapped out the rollers for bunks which allowed me to lower it 5-6". I made a couple more adjustments after this picture.

trailer5.jpg

I have a Lowe 1652 and I just measured the trailer and it's around 56" between the fenders and it's a great fit. I think you want at least 3-4" wider with the trailer since you only get half of it on each side.

Here's mine right after I swapped out the rollers for bunks which allowed me to lower it 5-6". I made a couple more adjustments after this picture.

View attachment 123366
Do you know what model # that trailer is my boats a little narrower but that trailer looks like it would work.If that boat came in model with a floor and no center seat that’s what I would have bought.

Unfortunately, my trailer is older (2001) and the original sticker with all the id stuff is faded to nothing at this point. Part of my VIN is 15A4LTSL1612 ... so I'm not sure what the model is. I think the LT identifies it as a light boat trailer. It originally had rollers but the boat place could have added them for the previous owner.

Unfortunately, my trailer is older (2001) and the original sticker with all the id stuff is faded to nothing at this point. Part of my VIN is 15A4LTSL1612 ... so I'm not sure what the model is. I think the LT identifies it as a light boat trailer. It originally had rollers but the boat place could have added them for the previous owner.
I thought maybe it was older they don’t show any trailers like it now.

Yeah, I was just searching around and it looks like there aren't a lot of options for trailers in the 16' range other than the 49" wide or 63" wide which seems like overkill. I did find this one that is listed as 52" but can't tell who makes it and it seems a little high on price plus shipping.

16' Trailer 52 wide

Here's another 52" wide that has a little more capacity and is priced lower. It looks like the same trailer though.

Prosport Magneta trailer 16' 52 wide

-

Last edited:
The dealer sells Load Rite the next one is 62” between the fender which should work.I’ve read some posts somewhere that if the trailer is too wide the guide bunks end up being too far from the boat but at 62 “ and a 70” beam boat I think I should be ok

Latest posts