transducer mounted correct?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nguye569

Reaction score
Im trying to assess if my transducer is mounted correctly or if there's something wrong with it. Over the weekend, i was on a river and the sonar would show depths of 6 to 8feet but i was clearly in only 2 feet of water...

the mount was already on the boat when i purchased with no FF. I installed an Elite 3x.

View attachment 1

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1438804789561.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1438804789561.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 864
  • uploadfromtaptalk1438804800266.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1438804800266.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 864
Looks a little low, but level enough that it shouldn't affect depth if you are sitting still in 2 feet of water. Must be a problem with the transducer or unit itself.

May be related, may be not.

In shallow depths with my Humminbird sonar, I cannot run dual band 83/200 sonar. For whatever reason there might be some interference(could also be due to surface hardness, could be sonar waves bouncing back and forth, etc). When I get less than about 3 ft, my depth number starts bouncing a lot between the correct depth and about 6-8 ft. If I remember right, I usually end up switching over to the 200 band and my depth numbers will even out at the correct depth.

There again, may be related, may be not. As above, the position you have it now, seems to be fine for getting accurate depth measurements.

The problem may be the sensitivity [gain] is set too high so you're getting a double bounce.

But - the ducer is too low and on the wrong side of the engine, unless it's counter-rotating......

golfrnut said:
May be related, may be not.

In shallow depths with my Humminbird sonar, I cannot run dual band 83/200 sonar. For whatever reason there might be some interference(could also be due to surface hardness, could be sonar waves bouncing back and forth, etc). When I get less than about 3 ft, my depth number starts bouncing a lot between the correct depth and about 6-8 ft. If I remember right, I usually end up switching over to the 200 band and my depth numbers will even out at the correct depth.

There again, may be related, may be not. As above, the position you have it now, seems to be fine for getting accurate depth measurements.

My sonar doesn't allow me to run dual band, so I don't think that will be an issue

Skiffing said:
The problem may be the sensitivity [gain] is set too high so you're getting a double bounce.

But - the ducer is too low and on the wrong side of the engine, unless it's counter-rotating......

I can try adjusting the sensitivity. Does it make a difference what side of the engine the transducer is on? I can move the unit, but would prefer not to drill anymore holes and leave holes unused if not required...

It does matter which side of the motor the ducer is mounted.

For standard rotation prop it should *ideally* be on the starboard side.

It can be mounted to port - but manufacturers recommended larger distance between ducer and prop to prevent interference.

Grab your FF manual online and see what they recommend then see if yours is far enough away.

In my boat I don't depend on the FF when there is less than six feet under the keel. Too much can happen too quickly...

And the sonar cone is too small to get meaningful information.

^^^ all it does for you in those depths is tell you if you should be raising your prop out of the water on the gas motor...

onthewater102 said:
^^^ all it does for you in those depths is tell you if you should be raising your prop out of the water on the gas motor...

Funny, that is exactly what I use mine for at those depths. As soon as the signal disappears or gets "funky" up comes the motor.

Latest posts