Transducer wire?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

space

Reaction score
I've run all my wires on my 1432 in the gunwales. I want to do the same with my new Elite 7x but I have no idea what the transducer wire consists of. My best guess is it's like cat 5. Anyone ever cut this wire and spliced it back?

Not recommended. I have seen a cable cut accidentally and repaired sucessfully but my manual says don't cut it. Some manufactures have extension cables that might be used to do what you want to do.

No 1st hand experience but have read numerous times of the TD wire being cut completely thru or pinched enough where the TD won't work, and people making several splices as there are several smaller wires inside the larger TD wire. On a new FF, don't cut it, try and get a TD wire extension, they are not cheap but at least you will have a FF that works good.

Thanks for the replies. I ended up cutting the cable and routing it thru the gunwale yesterday. In case anyone else is considering it, there are two sets of shielded wires. One set has a bare, woven ground and two woven wires, the other set is the same except there were three woven and one bare ground. I made the connections using these:

200pcs-Sub-k2-font-b-wiring-b-font-high-quality-waterproof-font-b-wiring-b-font.jpg

It seems to work fine for now, time will tell I guess.

Did you splice the shield also?
Shield is just as important as the wires!!

About 2 years ago I had a HB depth finder that I took out of an old boat. When I removed it I pulled a little too hard (stupid me!!) getting the TD cable out of the boat and it pulled the connector off so I had no way to connect it back to the unit. It was a great depth finder and I didn't want to pay $80+ for a new transducer so I spliced a connector into the unit and the TD cable. It has worked great since!

Just make sure when you splice it you connect the shield wires also. I took it a little further and rapped aluminum foil around the cable where there wasn't any shielding from splicing it. Just make sure the shield wire is touching the aluminum foil. I work in electronics and many cables I work with have nothing more than aluminum foil or very thin metal used as their shields. Good luck with your project!

Latest posts