Transom ,what and how would you do this?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shadow

Reaction score
so i am at the point now that maybe i should have done this first but i didnt so here I am needing to know how I should attempt this task? its a landau boat if that helps anyone with knowledge of them or maybe has done this before,the transom seems sturdy but is pushing in on the one spot and has tore the rib brace as you can see in the pictures,a guy at work said he did his by adding a steel plate where the bolts go in right over the top of the bad wood...please help duck season 6 weeks away and i wanna be ready ,thanks

Attachments

• transom1.jpg
    transom1.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 570
  • transom2.jpg
    transom2.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 572
  • transom3.jpg
    transom3.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 572
  • transom4.jpg
    transom4.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 574
  • transom5.jpg
    transom5.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 592
Hard to tell by the pics, but it looks like the wood is captured at the bottom in a channel, then the top of the transom lips over it. Is the top of the transom that forms over the wood inside part of the hull or is it a "cap" riveted-on? Can you get a pic of the top of the transom from behind the boat?

I'll be honest, if it were my boat I'd remove the rivets & braces, the plate, and whatever else I had to remove to get to the wood. After sealing & replacing the wood, I'd fab a new piece of 1/8" aluminum to cover the entire inside of the transon, the same area where there's wood.. Re-weld the braces where stress fractured, then gusset them or weld a piece of aluminum angle inside them. Seal & re-bolt things back together.

ST

Grind the rivets on the braces, two side brackets and lower piece holding the wood in. Try your best to get the wood out in one piece to use as a template for the new wood. Install new wood and reattach all brackets and braces with stainless steel screws/bolts and lock nuts.
Adding a steel plate will just give you a false sense of security. When the wood finally fails, the motor will get loose and could become a fish habitat. Keep the metal plate that the factory installed, but leave the other areas open to (1) Allow you to keep your eye on the wood in the future and (2) allow the wood to "breathe" better and dry out if it gets wet.

Latest posts