TriHull vs Deep V hulls

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm pretty wary of trade deals. I guess in the rare case you might run into a deal where both parties are looking for a better fit, but all I've ever ran into is one guy trying to pull a fast one on the other.

I don't think you'll be gaining much in that trade for the tri-hull. They definitely didn't stop producing that design for decades because it was exceptionally good. They were one of the first to have a wide, open bow which was nice, and they were stable. But, depending on the specific hull, some of them rode really rough and made for a wet ride in quartering seas.

I'd probably opt to sell your rig and buy a true open floor Deep-V, or change up the seating options in your boat.
I've been trying to sell it for the better part of the year, and all I get is people telling me they would buy it off of me for 1.5K CAD or silly things like that, when there's not a single bass boat under my pricepoint of 6K CAD listed on Marketplace (the closest I could find with the most minimalistic amount of accessories was 8.5K CAD)

Do you have any ideas on what made them rough riding, wet riding or smooth riding? Yes, I assume it's the 2 "pontoons"-like shape, because the middle is a V hull... but I'm curious and I'd like to know more in case I ever go for it (or any other more interesting tri-hulls)

I don't like trades either, because as you said, there's always someone trying to rip off the other.
That's why I came on here and asked about tri-hulls. I know flat bottomed boats, I know V hulls, I don't know pontoons or tri-hulls.

To be honest, I didn't know there were 2 deadrise angles.
That's because there aren't 2 ... but 3 of them!

Soft V - 12 degree deadrise or less, pound, pound, pound in any choppy sea state! But takes the least HP for good performance, very stable at rest

Mod V - 14 degree deadrise to 18 degrees or so, good compromise for performance vs ride vs power, stable at rest

Deep V - Typically begins @ 20 degrees, softest ride, but needs the most horsepower, tippy at rest, will roll in any chop if not moving

Some Pontoon boats have 3 running sponsons, usually with a larger middle one.

All I can tell you is that the modern 'multi-hull' catamerans boats' (think Glacier Bay) will have a smoother running attitude than any other hull design out there! There are some drawbacks, e.g., top end speed, need for twin OBs, but the biggest ... the expen$e.

Read up online in a search for 'catameran vs v hull' and you'll be reading for days!

Last edited:
There are many variables in V design. Take my Bay boat for example. The hull at the transom is almost flat. My little aluminum boat has more V. But the bay boat is heavier and has a sharp entry. Although it has very little deadrise at the transom, it is NOT a pounding boat, unless you jump a wave and get airborne. It's actually very smooth in heavy chop and swells. I outrun my buddy in his pretty 24' Sea Pro in rough seas, and he gets mad about it, but I think it's hilarious. And I float in 12" of water.

When I got this boat, I saw that flat transom and thought I was going to flip it immediately. Then I ran it and was shocked. 15 years later, I still love this hull. You never know until you run a boat.

026.JPGResized_20190519_114842.jpeg

Sea trialing a boat in the conditions you expect is the only way to go. I wouldn't trade boats without doing that. No way!

I've been trying to sell it for the better part of the year, and all I get is people telling me they would buy it off of me for 1.5K CAD or silly things like that, when there's not a single bass boat under my pricepoint of 6K CAD listed on Marketplace (the closest I could find with the most minimalistic amount of accessories was 8.5K CAD)

Do you have any ideas on what made them rough riding, wet riding or smooth riding? Yes, I assume it's the 2 "pontoons"-like shape, because the middle is a V hull... but I'm curious and I'd like to know more in case I ever go for it (or any other more interesting tri-hulls)

I don't like trades either, because as you said, there's always someone trying to rip off the other.
That's why I came on here and asked about tri-hulls. I know flat bottomed boats, I know V hulls, I don't know pontoons or tri-hulls.
Look closely at the hull, when a V hull cuts thru a wave it splits it in half but a trihull when on plane, uses the two sponses to grab that split wave and pushes the bow up again quickly and the flater more vertical sides allow spray back into the riders face. Unless your going slow or in calm water there is no such thing as a smooth ride in a trihull. When used in rough water, this added force onto the hull causes structural issues for the plywood sub structure. Trihulls are great for inland calm waters where a stability platform is needed, but in any type of chop, waves higher than a foot, it becomes a harsh and wet ride at speed. At my age, I have saw the creation, life and demise of the trihull....

Latest posts