Trying to get this boat going again

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattmean

Reaction score
Well, I've had the boat a few years now. I was able to get it fully titled and clean with the state (in NJ it's a real pain if it's an old boat with no #s )

So I've cleaned it well, sanded it well, etched it, primed it and given it 3 solid coats. Then, Hurricane Sandy hit, and it got nicked up a bit. So I recently cleaned it off again at my Old Man's house and about to go for coat 4,5 then clear coat it.

I have some initial questions on painting the interior, and framing around it. This boat needs to remain light enough to still be carried by 2 people, but I seriously want to put a small casting deck/stool upfront to maximize my 12' boat's space when my father or friend and I are fishing. I'm also just about done with the transom and did a tune up on my 2hp outboard. Is there a silicone or glue people swear by for affixing the wood to boat in addition to obviously bolting it down?

Material wise, whats best to accomplish a small front deck and yet keeping weight down. * It could be removable, if it rested on a bracket possibly. And lastly what are people thoughts about the gripping clear coat thats out now? I would use that on the interior of the hull.

Thanks guys I'm hoping to get this and the trailer done by fall.

Attachments

• boat.jpg
    boat.jpg
    619.1 KB · Views: 647
Looks sharp what size boat is it?

For a small deck get some Alum 'L" bracket and mount that side to side and top with some plywood - fast and easy Toughest part is making the mounting brackets to bolt to the sides of your hull

Where do you plan on fishing? If you are gonna do the Navasink or Raritain bay areas let me know!

Ok works been crazy and these heat waves did me no justice. So I really have been slacking.

But She's painted. I hit one snag which I will need to fix before I start phase 2, wood. I tried this Spray Grip clear coat... All it did was eat up my paint job on the interior, luckily I only used it in one small area which, I'll just redo.

Here's the updated shots.

Attachments

• IMG_4790.JPG
    IMG_4790.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 481
  • IMG_4793.JPG
    IMG_4793.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 481
If you want to seal the wood to the transom, I read a lot about 3M 5200. I used it to seal 2 each 3/4" transom pieces together. I haven't even put it on the boat yet, but have heard nothing but good about using it a a sealer.

Cant help ya with the gripping clear coat, but it sounds like you got your answer. :( Good luck, and keep those pics coming.

Latest posts