Upgraded trolling motor questions

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarsAngler40

Reaction score
Picked up a 70lb 24V Motorguide Digital Tour trolling motor to replace my current really old 25lb thrust motor. Its going on my 15 footer and since I mostly fish electric lakes or slow rivers I think I will have the power I need. Only question is will this be super herky jerky on a small boat? I love the metal pedal on this motor but it seems so responsive that I worry throwing myself out the the boat. Is this just something you get a feel for?

I've got a 80# on a 14' bow mounted...variable speed is your friend - if you have it on hi and turn it off you're in for a rude awakening when you go to turn it back on again. I can't imagine 75 in a 15 will be much different. So long as you always start slow and work your speed up it's not bad, but it has more than enough torque to really throw the boat around if you steer abruptly.

FWIW I weigh 230 +/- so I'm not a light load to be tossing around

I completely agree with onthewater.

I've got a 70 on the front of my heavy 14 and it'll throw me around on hi if I start it turned.

A little late to the party here but wondering if this should be a concern of mine with a 45# on a 1470?

I'm sure caution should always be used

Latest posts