Ventilation Problems

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swmohunter

Reaction score
I would first like to say that I have recently joined this forum and have found it extremely helpful. I have done a search on ventilation and have not come across what I am looking for. Sorry in advance for any ignorant questions.

I am fairly new to boating and have recently rigged up my boat. I have a Lowe Roughneck 1655 and have got a short shaft 25hp 1971 Evenrude on it at the moment.

The cavitation plate sets about 2 maybe 3 inches above the bottom of the boat. I am having trouble getting the throttle past half way before it starts to ventilate. I think it is ventilating? When I get past half throttle or so the prop acts as if it is not catching enough water. The rpm's also go up.

I am wanting to get this motor through the rest of duck season so here are a few questions. I am guessing that I need to lower the motor. If I get a mini jack plate, will I be able to turn it upside down (lowering the mounting point) and be alright. If I am able to do so, will I lose my ability to turn the motor due to the arm hitting the transom (if that makes sense).

If there are any suggestions I am all ears. I am trying to get away as cheap as I can to get me through the next month or so.

Nathan

Welcome to Tinboats!!

A jackplate will allow you too run your motor higher than the bottom of your boat. I have found that for every inch of setback the plate has, you can raise the motor a 1/4" to maybe a 1/2". If the minijacker sets you back 3", you could possibly get away with 3/4" - 1 1/2" above the bottom. You may not need to flip the plate. The further back your motor is from the transom, the cleaner the water is making your motor more efficient.

Definitely sounds like it is ventilating. Speck may be on to something as well. If you buy a jackplate with enough setback you may not need to flip it over and try to lower it; it may be far enough back that 2" high will work. You can also try running a different prop, not sure what's available for a '71 tho, but there are props made for ventilating/surface piercing. Also, you could buy a longshaft lower unit for the motor, this is what I would do.