What have I done! 1981 Lowe 1648 Rebuild

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WildCard07

Reaction score
Well I'm new to this site and after reading a few of the current build threads, I've started rebuilding my new to me 1981 Lowe MV Riveted 1648. This is my first Jon boat rebuild so it will most likely be a long work in progress that very well could result in me giving up and buying a new boat. We'll just have to see how it goes. When I bought it, it was a side console with extended front and rear decks. After putting my motor on it (1992 Johnson 48 SPL) and running down the bayou a few times I quickly realized I had bigger problems than the carpet needing to be replaced. Filling it up with water quickly confirmed my fears, as I found several leaking rivets and a couple of leaking welds in the bow. As I pondered how to best fix this situation, my imagination got the best of me and a total tear down began.

What I've done so far:
Completely removed the extension on the front deck, the floor, the entire rear deck, and transom. I've replaced the leaking rivets and ordered some Gluv-it to seal the interior floor. I'm currently waiting on a friend of mine to help build and instal an all new all aluminum transom with sponson.

What my plans are:
Convert it from a side console to a center console. Replace floor. Replace front and rear decks or raise the entire floor and have a solid flat deck. Still undecided in that.

Thanks for reading and ill post some pictures shortly.

All questions, comments, and advice are welcomed as this is my first project and I just making it up as I go along. I have two different images of what I how I would like it to end up. I would prefer a complete raised flat deck like Smackdaddy is building, but at 48" wide and MV I question whether it would be stable enough in the water. I plan to use it to fish the shallow bays and bayous around Freeport, TX.

with that size boat i would imagine it being very stable

what happened to the transom?

The wood was rotten and the PO raised it by adding an aluminum plate to the top without any wood or backing so the top bolts were causing the aluminum to collapse/pinch together. Rather than trying to cut out what he added then replace the wood and re-raise the transom I decided to cut it out and start from scratch and make it a true 20" transom.

Thanks! Taking it apart was easy. Making it look like a boat again will be the hard/fun part!

I hear that. I am just finally getting to the "back together" part myself. I am excited to see the transom portion of yours, take lots of pictures!

Man that looks like work! Do not forget that BOAT stands for Break Out Another Thousand!
I got my 2x2 aluminum square tubing, gunnel caps and 4'x12'x1/8" sheet from Aluminum and Stainless out of Lafayette Louisiana because aluminum prices in Texas are outrageous! I paid $1100 for my material and was quoted over $600 more from local suppliers that get the aluminum from the same source. Eff that! I met the delivery truck in Winnie and saved a ton of cash. PM me if you want more info.
That width of boat should be fine with a flush deck, especially with sponsons. I wouldnt mind keeping up with your thread since it sounds similar to mine. I had to rebuild my transom as well and you are from down here!

x2 on lots of pictures! debating on doing that on my transom as well. keep up the good work. :WELCOME: to tinboats by the way!

smackdaddy53 said:
Man that looks like work! Do not forget that BOAT stands for Break Out Another Thousand!

Yeah I know that all too well. I've got a 25' Offshore boat as well. Seems like it is always something. I picked up this boat from a fellow 2Cooler out of Baton Rouge for pretty cheap. It was really meant to be a cheap little project to put my old 48 SPL on because I wasn't sure how well the motor was going to run. It has been sitting for several years. I went through it last summer and it ran great on the hose and in a barrel but I had to get it out on the water to see what it would do. I didn't really want to spend the money the money on a new boat till I knew it would run. Now I know it will run so I figured I would just try my hand at making this little boat like new again. Thanks for the tip on the aluminum. I will def look into that. I will prob bite the bullet and buy what I need for the transom here locally just so I can get that part knocked out.

Ryno I will get as many pics of the transom rebuild as I can.

Thanks! No I haven't had a chance to work on lately. I'm waiting on a friend of mine to help rebuild the transom. If he isn't able to do it in next week or two I will just have to hire a welder to get it done. I'm ready for this thing to start looking like a boat again.

Looks like this one not going to happen. My friend backed out on helping with the transom and its just not worth putting the money into it to pay someone to do it. Sorry to disappoint and thanks to those that have offered advice. Let the search begin for a new boat.