when wireing up lights

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

warcraft1975

Reaction score
i just bought some lights for my boat none of which say which wire is posivtive and which is negative .....does it matter?

If led yes it does matter. They will not work if get polarity backwards.
If incandescent it does not matter, unless case is grounded.

If wiring trailer lights white is ground, brown is tail light, green or yellow is brake & blinker.

the lights i bought are just bulb style lights not led's....one is the red green light and the other two are just off road lights so i can see at night on the off road lights both wires are the same color on the red green light one is black and the other is grey

i have two lights plus the red green light i want them all on one switch ....do i just put all the postives on one side of switch and all neg on the other side of switch ?

warcraft1975 said:
i have two lights plus the red green light i want them all on one switch ....do i just put all the postives on one side of switch and all neg on the other side of switch ?

Yeah sure

hmmmmmm wait, how are they gonna get power? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: [-X [-X [-X

Run the positive from your battery to one side of the switch and then the positives from the light to the other

Run the neg. to your batter.

ok so switch has two prongs on it one prong has just the pos from battery on it and thats it ?and the other has all the postives from the lights on it?....so does all the grounds just go to the battery then ?

warcraft1975 said:
ok so switch has two prongs on it one prong has just the pos from battery on it and thats it ?and the other has all the postives from the lights on it?....so does all the grounds just go to the battery then ?

You got it =D>

I hope you installed a fuse/circuit breaker in the wiring, don't want to get a short and burn the boat down.

Fuse is there to protect the wiring in the case of a short. The fuse should be sized per the wire you have running from the battery to the switch. What size wire did you use?