Where are you purchasing your new Trolling Motors?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I run an ulterra on the river boat that is a tiller jet and a ultrex on my lake boat with steering. No issues with either spot lock has spoiled me. Both were purchased from Russell marine in Kansas had them in 2 days good guys

Northland Marine

Bought parts here a few times and my Terrova for a real nice price.
I’m waiting on some parts from them as we speak. My terrova is a 2007 80 pound and gets used hard. I opened it up thinking I’d find signs of water infiltration. Perfect condition inside. Seal kit on the way.

It does sound like they improved the firmware. I'd be surprised if the older units could be updated without a board change. Very unlikely they used a plugable EEPROM or have an open connector to do a firmware update. I know my MG's do not.
The MK trolling motor firmware can be updated via Bluetooth or through a networked Humminbird. From what I can tell this applies to ~2017 and newer units. I just checked and the last firmware release for iPilot link was Oct 5, 2023. The earlier mentioned ”new features“ were not listed in this update.

The MK trolling motor firmware can be updated via Bluetooth or through a networked Humminbird. From what I can tell this applies to ~2017 and newer units. I just checked and the last firmware release for iPilot link was Oct 5, 2023. The earlier mentioned ”new features“ were not listed in this update.
Thx, good to know. So you made me look to see if MG has any update options. It looks like some firmware updates can be done if you have a NMEA2K network, Gateway, and a Lowrance or SIMRAD display. There is also a dongle update capability. :)

If it wasn't for the different mounting hole pattern, I would have strongly considered the MG, especially since it links with my Lowrance HDS Live 9. However, not sure how much of the FF controls for TM I would use. The remote offers all of what I need. I'll be adding a foot pedal to have both remote and pedal options.

If it wasn't for the different mounting hole pattern, I would have strongly considered the MG, especially since it links with my Lowrance HDS Live 9. However, not sure how much of the FF controls for TM I would use. The remote offers all of what I need. I'll be adding a foot pedal to have both remote and pedal options.
This fall I started using the HB fish finder to control the Terrova more than the remote. The iPilot link remote screen is hard to see with sunglasses on. Plus it’s kind of bulky and I don’t like wearing things around my neck. Not to mention that it’s a $500 remote that doesn’t float.

Anyway the FF is fine for quick heading or speed corrections. Some MK functions, like circling a point for example, require the FF.

I love using the head unit to control my Ulterra. It's a little cumbersome at first but once you get used to it it's awesome. I agree Still Afloat, the I-Pilot remote is too heavy to have around my neck all the time.

I am debating more of what to buy instead of where.
I spent a bit over 45 min with George at TrollingMotors.net on the phone earlier in the week. He answered all my questions and was very helpful. I thought I would share that he has run all the new motors himself. He told me that the spot lock is a improvement, but really going down another foot on that function will most likely not be that noticeable to the average person. The biggest thing is improvements in I-Link system, I didn't have any questions about that on the new motors as I run Garmin.
I would like to buy from a smaller local dealer, but most of them have already been forced to close up shop and when I bought my O/B a few months ago, I could get it out of FL without paying any sales tax. I was told that the price was well below the local dealers cost, when I was trying for something close to a price match to buy from him. As much as I want to support them when I can save $1500, as much as it pains me I have to go with the better price. If I have a problem any of the branded dealers are going to fix it, but I understand that those that bought from them will in fact be ahead of me for service and it might cost me some time later down the line. I will most likely be getting a Ulterra from TrollingMotors.net in the next week.
These trolling motors are right along with everything else and to me, cost way too much money with lots of stuff with the potential to go wrong. Some of my own limitations force me to go with their top of the line with lots of tech stuff on it.....such is life.

Every single time I go fishing there are exactly two times when I wish I had the self deploy and stow. :)
I don’t mind the deploy and stow so much. The new Terrova Is a bit sticky on the deploy though. The latch doesn’t want to release. Will have to check that out before spring.

If this El Niño winter continues to be snowless and warmer I might have to try some winter fishing. I’ll bet the ice fishing guys are bumming right about now.

The Terrova should be smooth to release.

Are you pushing IN on the lever before pushing it down?
I’m pushing the release lever. My older TERROVA releases without a problem. I suspect that it just needs a clean and adjust. Maybe some lube if appropriate.

I should have read the entire post.....
I have a 12v 55lb 54" Terrova with US2 transducer. Bought it new in 2022. Have zero issue and zero complaints..... It pushes my 1654 Tracker Grizzly just fine...have never run the battery low and plenty of power.
In the past I had the power drive and that was a pain...literally had to slam my foot to get it to release..... this Terrova is smooth to release.
For my boat the 54" is plenty long...too long actually, but it works.
MY Terrova also came with I-pilot and after the first year I bought a kit to upgrade to ipilot link. Love it.

Some time ago on these forums someone recommended using silicone grease on the shaft for smoother deployment. Look for silicone faucet grease at your local hardware store. I wasn't having serious issues, but started applying the silicone grease as part of routine maintenance. The results are pretty darn good. Works much much (did I say much) better than silicone spray.

Last edited:
If it wasn't for the different mounting hole pattern, I would have strongly considered the MG, especially since it links with my Lowrance HDS Live 9. However, not sure how much of the FF controls for TM I would use. The remote offers all of what I need. I'll be adding a foot pedal to have both remote and pedal

Another option: I installed a aluminum tm quick release bracket MKA-16-03 for the terrova 80. Very easy to install. You can drill additional holes in base bracket if need be. Trolling Motor slides on and off base bracket easily.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240109_143148_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240109_143148_Chrome.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20240109_145316_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240109_145316_Gallery.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 0
Another option: I installed an aluminum tm quick release bracket MKA-16-03 for the terrova 80. Very easy to install. You can drill additional holes in base bracket if need be. Trolling Motor slides on and off base bracket easily.
I have used that slide bracket on my boats for years now. Good value for the money. I could see where in some configurations it could be a PIA.

I have that on one of my motors, and the puck system on the other. Both work well, but the puck is super-easy to deal with, kind of like the Terrova versus the powerdrive.

Latest posts