Which 6 hp outboard to purchase?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lot of hostility around here tonight! I have a little 5hp merc 2 stroke on a 1436. It's way underpowered especially when both kids are with me in it. Top speed with just me is 9mph. Sometimes that's all you need though. I really wanted a 9.9/15hp 2 stroke but couldn't find one In decent running condition for less than $1500 nicer ones were more. Prices and availability vary greatly depending on location have to keep that in mind sometimes when reading these threads.

Stay with a good 2 stroke and save the weight!! More punch and less weight !! If a couple gallons of gas means that much, you shouldn't own a boat....
Easy answer with a hard solution. Where is a well maintained 2 stroke for sale............? I don't see any around my area.

You guys talk like two strokes are a dime a dozen. Well guess what they are not. They quit selling them years ago. Wake up and smell the coffee. You're all acting like you got one over on everybody. Oh yea am the man with my 20 year old two stroke. Your not. Granted it was a good motor during its time but its time has past. Horse power big men. Bull a simple six will get you around just fine. Tired of the macho man bull. I think your all full of crap.
Whose the macho man............we are just discussing motors.........why get upset? Everybody has a right to share their thoughts.........it's ok to accept or disagree with their opinion.

Lot of hostility around here tonight! I have a little 5hp merc 2 stroke on a 1436. It's way underpowered especially when both kids are with me in it. Top speed with just me is 9mph. Sometimes that's all you need though. I really wanted a 9.9/15hp 2 stroke but couldn't find one In decent running condition for less than $1500 nicer ones were more. Prices and availability vary greatly depending on location have to keep that in mind sometimes when reading these threads.
True true true.............

Easy answer with a hard solution. Where is a well maintained 2 stroke for sale............? I don't see any around my area.
I hear ya, there are some out there, gotta shop long and hard ! I have always been able to find them but sometimes takes months of hard looking. Many times drove hundreds of miles to find one. And yes, have paid a premium at times for a really nice one! But if taken care of really well, I got that premium back when I sold it. They are getting scarce so when does come along, take extra care in keeping it that way....

I highly suggest bumping to an 8hp if at all possible. Reason being, every single 4 stroke motor made that is smaller than 8hp is a single cylinder. I have a 6hp Merc longshaft that is my kicker motor for trolling. It runs for hundreds upon hundreds of hours a season. It's been great and is super reliable but it is very chunky. A twin is better balanced and does not vibrate the boat as much. To be fair, I am using this motor to slow troll at 1.8mph or less, and at higher speeds the motor balances out, but at 1100 rpms or less it's a big, chunky single cylinder and you can feel it. Had I known I would have got an 8 or a 9.9 simply to have a well balanced twin.

X2. Sure you can take steps to reduce vibration, but if going to 8HP is an option, then you are ahead of the game. My two cents.

After two hip replacements I got up to 301 LBS. Now down to 265 LBS. Sticking to diet until I hit 200 LBS. I took the metal tag off the transom and attached it to the refrigerator door. It is a big motivating factor to read the weight limit on the boat and just walk away.
Good for you, your body will thank you for it !! After my heart surgery, I started gaining weight, had to put the brakes on my cookies !! Been eating Cheerios for breakfast ever since. Not my favorite food but they do help....

A few years back I was looking for a small motor, none to be found in my area. Contacted some friends and relatives in other states and had them looking. Actually found one two states away, made a short vacation trip to visit a relative and brought back a motor... when there is a will, there can be a way....

Wow, what planet is everyone from? There are probably 200 old two strokes on my local Market Place and Craigslist right now. Prices range from 20 bucks to a few grand. I will say though, there are no good running motors out there. At least I haven't found any. They all ran great last time they ran though.....LOL

X2. Sure you can take steps to reduce vibration, but if going to 8HP is an option, then you are ahead of the game. My two cents.
That 2 cents is worth a lot...............something to consider for sure........thanks for your input.

I hear ya, there are some out there, gotta shop long and hard ! I have always been able to find them but sometimes takes months of hard looking. Many times drove hundreds of miles to find one. And yes, have paid a premium at times for a really nice one! But if taken care of really well, I got that premium back when I sold it. They are getting scarce so when does come along, take extra care in keeping it that way....
Here in Florida people can and often do run their motors year round so many used motors are really used up and they are selling them for a good reason...........often worn out.

I have an 08 Tohatsu 8hp.
Good for heavy loads. Lots of low end Torque. No top speed with 4 stroke mini's.

Hey a Yamaha 15 or Mercury 15 2 Stroke. Lighter than any 4 Stroke.

I have an 08 Tohatsu 8hp.
Good for heavy loads. Lots of low end Torque. No top speed with 4 stroke mini's.

Hey a Yamaha 15 or Mercury 15 2 Stroke. Lighter than any 4 Stroke.
True true.............weight is the issue with the 4 strokes. I like the quietness of them and general reliability but they are just darn heavy for the HP output.

So tell me it's not just me. I LIKE the smell, sound, and performance of 2 stroke motors. 4 strokes are just kinda boring to me. Like having a lawn mower engine on your boat. I'm not fond of I/Os for the same reason. They sound like cars with a bad muffler. Pretty sure I'd miss the feeling I get with a strong running 2 banger. Old time dirt biker and snowmobiler here. I guess some don't really get that feel?

I prefer a SBC with a lumpy cam, but there is something about Mopars. I've had a few. My boat is plenty quiet when I want it to be. I just shut the motor off.

I know I sent you a message Wayne, but wanted to throw out another option for those looking for good quality older (smaller) 2-strokes.

Checkout smalloutboards (dot) com, AFA marine. Its a small group of guys that rebuild outboards all the time. I purchased no less than 3 from him over the years and ALL are in perfect shape. He buys, fixes, and sells so his inventory is constantly changing. So if you see one, got to act quick. Located in Clearwater, FL. I picked up 2 to save shipping (my brother also lives out there, so made it a trip). I like both 4 and 2 strokes, I especially like newer small outboards with direct fuel injection. However, I have rebuilt so many carbs, I have no issues jumping on a smaller carbed outboard!

Just checked, hes got a 6hp Johnson on there now, 45lbs!