which battery should i buy

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

berger

Reaction score
i was going to buy a new battery to run my trolling motor on my jon boat and i was wondering what is the best one and cheapest one to get price ranges from $60-$100 is what i can spend. the trolling motor is what im going to use as the primary motor to get around untill i can get a 20 horse any suggestions i would really appreciate i know the everstart maxx
29 is ok i heard

I've always used Die-hard deep cycles and have never had a problem with them.I think
the highest priced one they sell is less than $100.

get the biggest battery you can afford. look at the reserve minutes
you want the highest number of minutes you can get

well i just checked the battery me and my dad use to use when we went fishing just using the trolling motor. its a 24 and it last us hours the way we used it so i thinking its all in the way u use the thing.

oh and i also forgot im going to install solar panels to charge the battery while im out using it so i was thinking of a everstart but which one should i actually get im not sure if they are deep cycle or multi use and i know were i live and i know the workers arent the brightest in the world so i dont want to be told wrong and get stuck

Deep cycle for trolling motors.
Save your money on them solar panels,they WON'T charge a battery enough,thats used for trolling.
There more of a maintainer once the battery gets charged.
Your going to need a battery charger.

are the everstart batteries at walmart a deep cycle or just dual use and i have a battery charger but i read a solar panel would help while out on the water using the battery

Walmart sells Everstart in both Marine and regular Automotive varieties. It will say right on the side of the battery if it is a Marine Deep Cycle or not.

berger said:
are the everstart batteries at walmart a deep cycle or just dual use and i have a battery charger but i read a solar panel would help while out on the water using the battery
If you get the 27 group you will be fine you will get plenty time on the water and if you maintain it it should last several years.

X2 on the panels. they will not help at all while on the water. if you do the math you will see
they may maintain them once fully charged.
my thought is that people that buy them don't want to feel the wasted the money
so they will say they work .

If a trolling motor is your only means of propulsion, keep a second battery on hand or have oars available in case of a problem with the battery.

+1 on not using solar panels in the boat. Under the best of conditions (expensive efficient solar panels, sunny day, plenty of space to store panels, hired assistant to rotate panel into optimum sunlight) it'll take about an hour to recharge six minutes of typical trolling motor use (very rough estimate).

I'd spend the money you were planning to spend on solar panels on a second battery. Electric only propulsion needs a backup scenario, especially if you go far from the boat launch.

oh ok i didnt really know solar panels created that little bit of charge have you every heard of sharkhide metal protector it can be used as a clear coat and im painting my boat to match my truck just curious if that stuff is like a resin that hardens like glass almost

I bought my Duralast marine deep cycle battery from Auto Zone. At the time it was the largest one I could find locally. I think it was just under 100 dollars. The lake I fish is an electric motor only lake. I've taken this out with a full charge, fished all day and still had a good charge when we pulled out.

I just bought an interstate srm-27 from a local dealer for $80 and so far it's working out good.

(like your avatar Milton, theres one behind me asleep)