Why the lake doesn't give people back

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was a fishing guide for six years on Sam Rayburn lake in east Texas. Our boats were small, 16’ mostly, 17’ the last two years. 118,000 acre lake and could get mighty rough. At the time state law required 12 & under kids to wear life vest always when under way. I strictly enforced it.

Pulled two bodies from that lake and one from another during those years. None of the three were wearing life jackets.
Small world I'm on Rayburn. Live 1/4 mile from Farmers cove . We always wear our life jackets . 16' alumacraft flat bottom. Lake can get really ruff .

Could you tell me which life jacket you purchased. I have been looking at purchasing an inflatable one. Would really like one that turns you face up. Didn't know they made that kind. After having a heart attack 2 weeks ago my view on life jackets has changed. Thanks.
Bought it online from Bass Pro since I’m an hour and a half away from their closest location. It has the bass pro logo on it but it’s actually an Onyx.
I bought the A 33 because it will fit from 30” I believe to 62” chest. And it has 35 pounds of buoyancy rather than 18-24.
First I bought an AM24 here local and it fit but didn’t give me much room left Incase I grow a little more. My weight goes up and down.
If I remember correctly the AM33 when used as automatic is a type II and when used manual only is Type III. I’ve watched videos on it and when it deploys it inflates the chest and around the back of the head. Looks like a big pillow. I got it because I’m 57 type two diabetic and a good candidate for something to happen. I also have Meniere’s syndrome accompanied with tinnitus. So I get a little wobbly sometimes. And wife stayed worried when I was solo because she knew the only time I wore my pfd was when I was running the outboard.
I’m in Texas and there’s no way to be in a tin boat with a regular life jacket on 100% of the time because of the heat. I can wear this and forget I even have it on. But I have to be careful every now and then I’ll rub against the manual pull cord and cause it to come un clipped and it hangs out by the cord. It I was to catch the handle on something it would deploy and probably startle the heck out of me.
Hope this helps.

Just one thing to consider. These auto inflatable jackets can sometimes fail I would think and how would you know this except for when you hit the water and sink like a rock? Traditional flotation devices are flawless and many are quite thin. So I don't really see the need or extra expense. Isn't this sort of like reinventing the mousetrap?

Reinventing the mousetrap? No. Auto-inflatables are a different style of PFD for those who don't like the "traditional" vest. OBTW: Mousetraps were "reinvented," thankfully. On my rural acreage, traditional mousetraps failed more than 50% of the time. A more modern style works for me well over 95% of the time, but I digress.

Can auto-inflatables fail? Yes. It's rare, but yes. Like any mechanical device, it can fail.

Are traditional PFDs flawless? IMHO, no. If they were flawless, so many of them wouldn't be used as seat cushions or draped over the backs of boat seats everywhere. In these instances, that "flawless" PFD won't do anything for the owner who hits the water and sinks "like a rock."

I'm glad I have my auto-inflatable. I'm glad you like your traditional PFD.

I've been fond of saying there that the three most useless things to a fisherman are: 1. The license he didn't buy; 2. The gear he left behind at the dock; and 3. The rod he just dropped over the side of the boat. To that list, I think I'd add: 4. The PFD he's not wearing.

Fishermen/boaters make their own decisions regarding PFDs. They're still free to do that, at least in most states.

I’m surprised so many states/provinces (including my own) only require life jackets to be in the boat, not on the person. Are there any which require it to be worn (regardless of age)? Otherwise it’s like an unworn seatbelt - does you no good just to have it there. Seems like lives could easily be saved if people were required to actually WEAR them.

Reinventing the mousetrap? No. Auto-inflatables are a different style of PFD for those who don't like the "traditional" vest. OBTW: Mousetraps were "reinvented," thankfully. On my rural acreage, traditional mousetraps failed more than 50% of the time. A more modern style works for me well over 95% of the time, but I digress.

Can auto-inflatables fail? Yes. It's rare, but yes. Like any mechanical device, it can fail.

Are traditional PFDs flawless? IMHO, no. If they were flawless, so many of them wouldn't be used as seat cushions or draped over the backs of boat seats everywhere. In these instances, that "flawless" PFD won't do anything for the owner who hits the water and sinks "like a rock."

I'm glad I have my auto-inflatable. I'm glad you like your traditional PFD.

I've been fond of saying there that the three most useless things to a fisherman are: 1. The license he didn't buy; 2. The gear he left behind at the dock; and 3. The rod he just dropped over the side of the boat. To that list, I think I'd add: 4. The PFD he's not wearing.

Fishermen/boaters make their own decisions regarding PFDs. They're still free to do that, at least in most states.
Yes sir…. I open and inspect mine before every trip. You can remove the cylinder and see if it got punctured and slowly leaked out. Then remove the bobbin to make sure it still has all the water soluble white stuff in it and doesn’t look degraded. I check the whole thing for any rips or tears that may have happened I didn’t know about. It’s part of my ritual the night before. Just like tying up my rods and inventory my tackle.

I’m surprised so many states/provinces (including my own) only require life jackets to be in the boat, not on the person. Are there any which require it to be worn (regardless of age)? Otherwise it’s like an unworn seatbelt - does you no good just to have it there. Seems like lives could easily be saved if people were required to actually WEAR them.
Here in Texas certain age kids only have to have them on while under way.
However at least some of the game wardens that see you wearing while the boat is still will pull up to you. Especially for kids. The game warden will say you all just got busted. Then hand out T-shirts saying I got busted for wearing my life jacket. I think it’s kind of cool. Helps set examples for kids which is yet another reason I wear all the time on the water. I make my grandkids wear one so I should too.

Off topic, but my old spring mousetraps are 100% effective. The newer designs have broken on me and proven nowhere near as fool-proof. Two tricks you NEED to employ. 1. Tweak the end of the plate that the little rod fits in so that it is a pain to set without it snapping. Most fit too secure and the vermin can pick them clean. 2. GLUE a peanut to the bait recess using hot glue. I never miss a mouse. Never. Occasionally I think the traps go off by themselves, but the bait is untouched. With gluing the peanut down I can catch several mice/moles/voles with a single baiting. I live in the woods and typically catch 20-40 rodents in my shed every year. I won't even get into chipmunks and groundhogs, but I get rid of them too!

Your friend, Da Verminator!

Hey guys just an fyi. I went to order my wife’s inflatable life vest and the one I got isn’t there anymore. I looked it up by searching my orders and it said no longer available on line. They have one just like it with the bass pro on it but not the American flag is the only difference. Same model: AM33 clear view. $150 now.

Off topic, but my old spring mousetraps are 100% effective. The newer designs have broken on me and proven nowhere near as fool-proof. Two tricks you NEED to employ. 1. Tweak the end of the plate that the little rod fits in so that it is a pain to set without it snapping. Most fit too secure and the vermin can pick them clean. 2. GLUE a peanut to the bait recess using hot glue. I never miss a mouse. Never. Occasionally I think the traps go off by themselves, but the bait is untouched. With gluing the peanut down I can catch several mice/moles/voles with a single baiting. I live in the woods and typically catch 20-40 rodents in my shed every year. I won't even get into chipmunks and groundhogs, but I get rid of them too!

I have tried all of the above with no success except for gluing a peanut. I’ll try it. I to have tried several different ones and nothing. Even making sure I wash my hands with none scented soap. When I was young I trapped many of Coones , fox , bobcats and sold the hides with great success. But these mice out here kick my butt.
Funny story. I was outside and my neighbors wife hollered at me to come help her. She had a mouse in a live trap in her house and was afraid of it. So I went inside and grabbed the box and said I’ll get something to kill it with. OH NO! She had me turn it loose in her yard. I bet that mouse went right back in the house and is still fat. 😂
Okay no more mouse talk unless someone knows they’re good catfish bait.

Just one thing to consider. These auto inflatable jackets can sometimes fail I would think and how would you know this except for when you hit the water and sink like a rock? Traditional flotation devices are flawless and many are quite thin. So I don't really see the need or extra expense. Isn't this sort of like reinventing the mousetrap?
I have thought of this also while looking into inflatables and would be the main reason for not purchasing one. After having my heart attack I have asked what if I'm on the water and pass out or get dizzy and lose my balance and fall out, hit my head and become unconscious and it doesn't go off. You are pretty much drowning at that point. May I ask what kind of vest you wear?

From what I have read (and assuming I am understanding correctly) In my state of Va. If you have an inflatable life jacket it has to be worn at all times or you can receive a ticket. You cant have it just hanging on the back of your seat or put away. I think it has something to do with it cannot be put on if it is thrown to someone who has gone overboard because it goes off before you can get it on, I think. To be compliable if not wearing you have to carry those throw cushions also which defeats the purpose in my opinion. If I can find one that is comfortable that I can wear the whole time it would be nice, either inflatable or not.

Guess I should fess up. My ski vest came from a discount store. It's no more than an inch thick. It is CG approved though according to the tag. It's more for peace of mind than anything else. As a kid I lived on a bayou off the gulf and would swim it daily. Pretty sure can make it to shore on a 3/4 mile wide lake.

One more mouse comment? I used to never catch mice with traps. So I get the frustration. For years I used peanut butter and would be amazed when the next day the PB was all gone and the trap was still set. Then I read about the peanut/glue trick online. Decided to use hot glue because it peels right off. That helped but I would still get some misses. Then I started examining the traps. Some you almost had to drop a bowling ball on to trigger. Others just plain wouldn't stay set at all. Soon figured out if you bent the tab where the rod goes you could make them ultra sensitive. The trap I get the best results with is so sensitive I almost can't set it down without it going off. Trust me, if you go about it right you'll soon have no mice! I buy my traps 4/$1 at Dollar General.

I go to war with these liitle bastards every year. You want to take it to the next level? Gummy bears and stainless steel bailing wire. I cut a sliver of gummy bear and wire it to the bait tang. One gummy bear can bait like 3 traps. Will catch mice all year without having to rebait. I catch what you catch in a season, every week in my **** house. NH Country living. I usually throw away the traps because they get so nasty with blood and guts with the original bait on them a year later.

Bought it online from Bass Pro since I’m an hour and a half away from their closest location. It has the bass pro logo on it but it’s actually an Onyx.
I bought the A 33 because it will fit from 30” I believe to 62” chest. And it has 35 pounds of buoyancy rather than 18-24.

Mine should arrive next week. I'm looking forward to a more comfortable fit. Thanks again for the tip.

I go to war with these liitle bastards every year. You want to take it to the next level? Gummy bears and stainless steel bailing wire. I cut a sliver of gummy bear and wire it to the bait tang. One gummy bear can bait like 3 traps. Will catch mice all year without having to rebait. I catch what you catch in a season, every week in my **** house. NH Country living. I usually throw away the traps because they get so nasty with blood and guts with the original bait on them a year later.

Several years ago at the previous house there was a year that the whole neighborhood was overrun with Norway rats. It was so bad the local hardware store couldn't keep traps on the shelf. We baited a dozen traps daily in the garage for a week without setting the traps. Then, on a Friday night we baited and set them. As soon as we closed the door you could hear wham, wham, wham. We got 9 out of 12.

Several years ago at the previous house there was a year that the whole neighborhood was overrun with Norway rats. It was so bad the local hardware store couldn't keep traps on the shelf. We baited a dozen traps daily in the garage for a week without setting the traps. Then, on a Friday night we baited and set them. As soon as we closed the door you could hear wham, wham, wham. We got 9 out of 12.
Like feeding catfish in a pond same time every evening. They come to it like a heard of cows.

I actually do that. Feed them dog food.
We fed ours Purina catfish chow. There really is such a thing.
Built a big square out of pvc pipe. Tied it off on both sides of the pond so the edge stayed about 5’ from the bank and used a big ice scoop to throw out the floating food. The pvc kept the food contained from floating to the bank.
It was my job every day after the school bus dropped me off to go feed the catfish. I could walk up to the bank and tap the side of the bucket with the scoop and they’d start hitting the top of the water. They knew what was coming.