Will any Battery Charger work? What to buy?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ITGuy

Reaction score
I have used a battery charger only a couple times in my life. Just got a boat. Has two batteries one for starting engine and one for Trolling motor. My question is what charger should I get for my batteries? Does it need to be marine specific or what? I have seen many different models at Walmart, Tractor Supply, Auto stores, and such. Will any of these work? Willing to spend a little extra to get a better one but don't really want to spend over $100 on one. Please help. I did search on here but didn't come up with an exact answer. I do plan on getting an onboard charger down the road.

I can get this one one sale: Will this work? Or send me in the right direction. Thanks.
https://www.tractorsupply.com/savin...humacher-battery-charger-2-6-a-6-12-v-0476900

the charger you listed will be fine only problem is you will need to charge the batteeries one at a time

if you only go out from time to time or the boat will sit for awhile a maintainer/trickle charger is the ticket. if you go out multiple times a week or several days back to back a higher rate charger will be needed.also never let them sit dead or low charge it will hurt their lifespan /performance severly.

200racing said:
if you only go out from time to time or the boat will sit for awhile a maintainer/trickle charger is the ticket. if you go out multiple times a week or several days back to back a higher rate charger will be needed.also never let them sit dead or low charge it will hurt their lifespan /performance severly.
What you are talking about will MAINTAIN A charged battery until the next use but for charging a drained you need something a bit more like the one he has listed. I hate to see people waste money buy going cheap just to get by hopefully at some point we can all get out and fish a couple days and you will want a larger charger
I have a 4 bank 60 amp charger (15amps per bank) i can charge my 4 batteries over night no matter how much i use them.

Thanks, Guys.
Right now I just wanted something to get by. I charged both the batteries over night between the last two nights, one on one night the other last night. I will probably add another battery or two down the road for the trolling motor. I will be fishing (80%-90% of my time) several places where I will either be just Trolling motor or under 10hp. I will probably wait till after part or most of the fishing season or about fall to add the other batteries or maybe even next spring. At that time I would also add an on board charger Now just to figure out why the trolling motor isn't working, fun fun, never ending.