12 foot sea king boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drfloyd01

Reaction score
I was hoping someone could help me. I have 12 foot Sean king boat. I’m looking for approximately what year and who manufactured this particular model. I don’t know much information other than it has been through 3 generations of family and I purchased it from the 3 generation. It has had some work done over the years and I know it is probably not the way it came brand new. Unfortunately the tag is also missing. If anyone could help me with information I would be very grateful. Thank you for your time 9129040D-BED8-49D2-8E3F-707700A915CE.jpeg4B23A8C0-3AD7-49D2-A29F-97DDB0FA351F.jpeg143F971C-23B1-4F5E-9C30-E8D34D205F7B.jpegF7641C34-6FCD-4098-B618-90CDF3FCCD25.jpeg

In case you didn't know Sea King is the brand of boats and outboards Montgomery Wards sold.
The design of the flotation boxes and brace under the seat might help ID who built it for Wards.

Lots of welding for an early boat.
This may seem an odd question, but is it 100% certain that it's aluminum?
Could it be steel or magnesium?

Actually....it looks as if the welds were after the fact. I'm not sure that's a feature on which to key for identification.
The really interesting things that pop out to me are the ribs. (and possibly that set of cleats around the stern - if original. They tend to speak to a different seating layout back there once upon a time ... but the ribs are definitely original.)

For what it's worth, Starcraft and Sea Nymph carried much of the Wards load through the years, but I'm not finding examples of either with those ribs.

*could we get a shot of the transom knees? The bracing behind the rear bench?

Yes it is. All of the pictures are the same boat. If more pictures are needed please feel free to ask.

No, not needed. Looks like some changes were made from the first to the last pic is why I asked. Looks like at some point there was a deck added over the rear bench then removed.

Hopefully someone will be able to ID the maker for you.

Here is some pictures of the floatation boxes and the bra
In case you didn't know Sea King is the brand of boats and outboards Montgomery Wards sold.
The design of the flotation boxes and brace under the seat might help ID who built it for Wards.
Lots of welding for an early boat.
This may seem an odd question, but is it 100% certain that it's aluminum?
Could it be steel or magnesium?
It is definitely aluminum. The welding that has been done is all has been done by the owner that I bought it from.

No, not needed. Looks like some changes were made from the first to the last pic is why I asked. Looks like at some point there was a deck added over the rear bench then removed.

Hopefully someone will be able to ID the maker for you.
There was decking inside the boat and I have removed it. It was not the original decking. I believe that it had decking inside when it was new. The owner also said that it had a wood railing around the top of the boat that rotted away. The previous owner used aluminum pipe split down the center and welded on.

Actually....it looks as if the welds were after the fact. I'm not sure that's a feature on which to key for identification.
The really interesting things that pop out to me are the ribs. (and possibly that set of cleats around the stern - if original. They tend to speak to a different seating layout back there once upon a time ... but the ribs are definitely original.)

For what it's worth, Starcraft and Sea Nymph carried much of the Wards load through the years, but I'm not finding examples of either with those ribs.

*could we get a shot of the transom knees? The bracing behind the rear bench?
The cleats are a set of aftermarket rod holders. I’ve included more pictures that might be some help to identify 20E4C300-BADD-4DD5-9891-0BA1712FA577.jpeg63EBB8DA-DDF1-4926-B3FC-60A9E1364199.jpeg57937AC1-4457-4836-AC9E-C1B8134F9B24.jpegE04310BE-D402-4A2C-83AB-C3100F02991F.jpegD813F392-527A-4DCA-9170-230967F41C19.jpegC444B570-607F-45E7-943F-39C042595602.jpeg6946E0F1-9894-4701-8270-6CBF4D67C7FE.jpeg

Oh man.
I definitely chose the wrong word. Lol.
I was thinking "cleats" as in woodworking. I meant the U-shaped series of brackets around the stern. If original, it would speak to a U-shaped seating arrangement like a double sided tiller seat. That would be an unique feature.
Also thanks for the heads-up on the round gunnels. That was also messing with me.

I have to admit, this one has me stumped.
Not that I'm a know-it-all, but I'm usually pretty good at this vintage stuff. I've owned/sold/rescued/rehomed dozens and dozens over the years.

The nearest that I can fathom is a series of Freeland boats out of Sturgis that had those high rise ribs. ...but I've never known them to have a Wards contract.
90% of early Wards was Starcraft.

Anyways, the bracing that I'd like to see are these guys back here. The transom knees...
Screenshot_20231120-180855_Chrome.jpg

Oh man.
I definitely chose the wrong word. Lol.
I was thinking "cleats" as in woodworking. I meant the U-shaped series of brackets around the stern. If original, it would speak to a U-shaped seating arrangement like a double sided tiller seat. That would be an unique feature.
Also thanks for the heads-up on the round gunnels. That was also messing with me.

I have to admit, this one has me stumped.
Not that I'm a know-it-all, but I'm usually pretty good at this vintage stuff. I've owned/sold/rescued/rehomed dozens and dozens over the years.

The nearest that I can fathom is a series of Freeland boats out of Sturgis that had those high rise ribs. ...but I've never known them to have a Wards contract.
90% of early Wards was Starcraft.

Anyways, the bracing that I'd like to see are these guys back here. The transom knees...
View attachment 117992

I did have u shaped seating arrangement in the stern that was wood. The previous owner replaced with aluminum diamond plate when the wood rotted away. Roughly what year do think it was manufactured? I appreciate the information from everyone.

I did have u shaped seating arrangement in the stern that was wood. The previous owner replaced with aluminum diamond plate when the wood rotted away. Roughly what year do think it was manufactured? I appreciate the information from everyone.
'48-58 ...ish would be my best guess so far.
I don't think 60s because by then the Sea King logo had gone to plaques and boats in general had gone to lapstrake panels.
And of course, pre-war, small metal boats were few and far with most being galvanized, stainless, or magnesium.

It would be great to have seen the original gunnels, the corner brackets, and the bow plate, but despite the modifications, many of the unique structural stuff is still in play - The things that are different to each brand.
The ribs rising up most of the freeboard is the most unique in my book, but the front bench bracing, the rear benches being full to the floor, the possible tiller seats, and absence of "stringers" or long drainage and/or mouse holes are especially unique.
I still haven't seen the transom knees fully but what is visible is *not* Starcraft.

It's a cool mystery. It's got me digging in my files, too. lol

I don't think 60s because by then the Sea King logo had gone to plaques and boats in general had gone to lapstrake panels.
And of course, pre-war, small metal boats were few and far with most being galvanized, stainless, or magnesium.

It would be great to have seen the original gunnels, the corner brackets, and the bow plate, but despite the modifications, many of the unique structural stuff is still in play - The things that are different to each brand.
The ribs rising up most of the freeboard is the most unique in my book, but the front bench bracing, the rear benches being full to the floor, the possible tiller seats, and absence of "stringers" or long drainage and/or mouse holes are especially unique.
I still haven't seen the transom knees fully but what is visible is *not* Starcraft.

I tried to take a decent picture of the transom. Hopefully it will help. The drain plug was added recently by the previous owners D7A51F63-AF2C-4865-B79C-2AD63CFE98ED.jpeg

I tried to take a decent picture of the transom. Hopefully it will help. The drain plug was added recently by the previous owners View attachment 117993
Geez. No knee braces at all??
Okay. Wasn't expecting that. Lol

I give. Uncle.

The thing about Monkey Wards is that first 90% is easy. It's a Starcraft.
...the other 10, though....
They were known to buy random lots of anyone's over-production to meet their catalog demand - so it's all about finding that sister ship.
In this case, there are some really good clues, but I got nothing.

I'm stuck on the ribs, though.

My only inkling comes from Peter Hunn's publication, Tail Fins and Two Tones where the author describes, "Internal structure details, on most Duratech craft, though, show aggressive ribbing".
Below are two Duratech graphics showing those high-rise ribs, but they are still not your model.
Its my best shot, though. I can't find much on Duratech's open boat models.
20231120_205945.jpg20231120_205923.jpg

I very much appreciate your help and information provided. Your help is far more than what I started with. I still want to take the time to clean it up and maybe repaint the inside. I will post pictures of my progress and the finished product. It will probably be a project that will take some time for me. Thank you for your help

Latest posts