14' Feather Craft V-hull

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FishFry said:
I'm pretty happy I didn't have to paint it pink or purple.

lol, and if they would have? :mrgreen: I like the yellow myself, it's different, but different is good.

ST

All the paint is gone and I won't be in a hurry to do that kind of work again. The anodized aluminum was a nice surprise, I'm going to keep some of it. I'm looking at the steelflex bottom paint that I've seen on a number of boats. And the inside will get fresh paint too, but I've got to frame out a deck first. Lots to do, the transom rebuild is gonna be next.

anodized-blue.jpg

Some progress here worth taking pictures of. First, I installed a new boweye. The old one pretty much tore through the boat, so I got a stainless eyebolt and made up a custom aluminum washer:

boweye.jpg

Then I went to work on the transom. From the inside out, it is 1/4" aluminum plate, 1/2" ply, the boat itself, 3/4" ply, and 1/8" aluminum sheet. Originally it would have been 2 pieces of 3/4" ply. I have good access to scrap materials, stainless bolts I had to buy. Luckily the handles on the rear were stuck under a seat, I didn't know they were there when I got the boat. :D
The whole boat is really stiff now, I'm much more confident about cutting out a seat. It's going to be the front one that goes. The original owner had cable steering rigged up front, and a seat installed there. And he was fat, and cracked that seat. Owner #2 was a duck hunter, and I've gotten rid of all trace of him as well, he's the one who gave it the bad paint job.

newtransomback.jpg

newtransominside.jpg

I've removed the front seat and started framing in the floor. I'm using U shaped stock, welded to the boat only on the ribs. I'm working under the bow next. Cutting the front seat out has me wanting to get rid of middle one too. I also want to keep it and use the inside for storage or livewell or both. But with an open deck, I can have good rod storage on the sides, with the middle seat in I can only lay a 71/2 foot pole down on the bottom. I don't really have enough room to put storage boxes or livewell on the sides if I cut out the middle bench. Decision time, if anybody has some great layout ideas in the next day I'd love to hear them. There's no issues with removing the seat as far as flotation foam goes, I've got enough pourable foam to fill in under the new floor.
floorframing.jpg

I think the feathercraft I'm picking up next weekend is the same boat! I can't wait to see what you do with yours. I'm fulll of ideas, but until I get the boat in the garage, I'll be living vicariously thru you:)
Brent

dedawg1149 said:
nice framing are you leaving any space when you do the foam for drainage

I was thinking about that also.You could split 2 inch PVC pipe down the middle and then cut out sections that will run between the ribs.If you're doing the entire bottom you may need to cut a drainage channel thru the foam.

I've decided to leave the middle seat. The framing is finished, and I filled it with water to see if any of the heat from welding pushed anything around, creating some leaks. No leaks from the welding, but the original seams leak pretty bad. Seams where two sheets of metal are rivited together in this boat have some sealant from the factory sandwiched in there. I knew some of it was bad, because I was able to pick out a couple chunks of it when I was stripping the paint. So I need to replace the sealant that is missing, and cover up what is still in there. I think this calls for gluv it on the inside. I won't put on the bottom paint or floatation foam until this boat doesn't leak.
Drainage is something I've been thinking about, and leaving the very bottom (middle of boat) open so water can run to the back would be a good thing. Tape and cardboard might be enough of a form to contain the foam to where I want it to be, I like the idea of pvc pipe too.
I'll put some conduit in there for future wiring before the foam. Everything is on hold until I get control of these leaks. I'm putting up a picture of the leaks below, we'll all see how well gluv it works. If somebody knows of a better product, or another approach to stoping these leaks I'm listening.
BTK, I'm glad you got a feathercraft, they're cool old boats. There's another one on this site (posted by USSWormy) that's finished up really nicely you should check out too.

framingwater.jpg

leakingboat.jpg

Lookin' good! You obviously have a TIG (or spool gun) anf the ability to use it (or know someone who does)..here's an idea........

Remove all the rivets, weld them & all the seams....how many "all welded" hulls have you seen like yours?? :wink:

If your hull is hot from setting in the sun, and you're filling it from the hose, be sure it isn't condensating (sweating) on the outside of the hull. Leave the water in long enough to let it & the hull equalize (match temps).

ST

SlimeTime, the seams have a sealant strip in them, at least 1/16" thick, 3/8" wide of something that would have to be all cleaned out before I could weld it together. And to get a good weld on the old metal, both surfaces need to be cleaned with a stainless wire wheel. I would do better pulling a pattern off this boat and starting with some new sheet metal.

I hope I just need to replace the messed up sealant - and there's some really obvious bad spots - then paint the bottom inside and out. The water was in the boat for about 1 1/2 hours, maybe there was some condensation but I did see water seeping through the seam sealant in a couple bad spots. It's really only coming through maybe 5-6 spots in the front and both rear corners just a little. Once the water got on the outside, it ran towards the back of the boat dripping the whole way.

You clearly have great skills and at the risk of sounding like an idiot I would load that thing up with steelflex and move ahead... That stuff is really worth the $$ and you'll be done in no time.

My little motor just found a wonderful home. I really hate Fishfry saw the paint job on my rig!!! His looks great. The 'Rude has gone to heaven.

Nice meeting you hartstriper. I ran the motor a little this evening. Idles real low, shifts smooth, very easy to start. Can't wait to run around the lake a little. She's an Evinrude sportwin 9.5, model year 67. For the boat, I have some gluvit to paint on this weekend, and steelflex for the bottom side is on order.

evinrude95.jpg

Latest posts