14' or 16'

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
reedjj said:
Rusty.hook,

I agree with you 100% BUT.........

There sure are a lot of 20+ year old riveted boats on here that are still runnin strong. I think that if they are taken care of there is no reason a rivted boat cant last for a very, very long time. The trick is finding an old one that has been taken care of. I got a new 1542 riveted and it is ALMOST as sturdy as my old welded 1652 Astro boat (made by landau) from 12 years ago. If you are not going to be doing anything crazy with your boat the average $1,000.00 savings you get on a riveted over a welded hull may be worth it. If you are going to be rough on your boat and going to be running some rough water then the welded hull is well worth it. For most of us that just use jon boats to fish little creeks, rivers and lakes that don't have much chop, a riveted is more than sturdy enough. For the guys that are going all electric.... No reason for a welded hull at all. IMHO

Now for those that are going to be in waves on open lakes or big rivers, and running jets on shallow water with rocks, logs and such you will need the extra strength of a welded hull for sure.

It all depends on what your going to do!

Your right about "what your going to do" I fish in salt water and sometimes 1' to 3' waves and worse when I pass or meet a ship or barge in the Houston Ship Channel and any boat is going to take a beating, and I can guarantee you I would rather be in a welded rather than a riveted boat. I had bought a used 17'Bass Tracker about 4 years ago and it looked great for for about 4 trips, then it started falling apart at the rivets! LOl So I carried it back to the dealer and they would refund my money but gave me a brand new all welded boat for a big discount. Have not had a riveted boat since. Been thru 4 boats since then.

This is all great info guys keep it up, i'm still looking for a boat, as for it being rivited or welded makes no difference to me. I will fish prob my son and I most of the time, and maybe a buddy and I. Thanks for some of the info and lets keep this one going to help others that might be looking for a boat. =D>

I fish alone for the most part and just upgraded from a 14 to a 16 foot boat this year. The trailer length is only slightly longer while still short enough to fit in the garage. With the 14 I always found myself wishing I'd gone with a bigger boat. The added stability of the wider and longer boat makes it worth it alone.

Begs,

Wish you were closer down south man I have a 16 foot boat I got for just the motor. its a sweet boat and wish I could have found it before I bought my welded rig but I like the welded for when I run in the timber.

Good luck in your search and keep it up itll come

What ever you buy, think about loading all your tackle in it, 4 people trying to fish or move around and make sure you have enough room. If you get the 14' and its ok now, how about 4 years from now, will it be ok then. A 16' will be ok now and in 4 years will still be ok.
If you really want to feel and see the difference, in your back yard, with some stakes mark off 14' and the width of that boat, and a couple of feet over do the same with the 16' stakes. Put all the tackle in the spaces of both sizes and 4 people and see if you can tell the difference. An "ol" person taught me that trick a long time ago.
Whatever you decide on, be safe and catch lots of fish, jus' sayin'

where you plan to fish is important. its really tough to launch a big boat in a pothole lake with motor restrictions.plus a 9.9 wot is really loud afer a while :LOL2: my 14 footer is underpowered for a 9.9 but i fish a lot of restricted lakes

you, the wife, and 2 kids in a 14ft boat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shock: [-X

here's my new 14ft'er i bought a couple weeks ago. 1998 Grumman 1467SP.
It'll be used for limited hp lakes. This boat will handle 2 adults and 2 kids if it had to, only because of the higher sides.
I usually fish with either my son, or a friend. 3 people are seldom, if ever in my boats.

second picture shows the drop in raised rear deck i just got done making. it's removable. (3/4 plywood, with 2x3 framing underneath) i just framed it, and it is not connected to bottom of boat at all.
swapped the older MK, for a new MK Edge too.

grumman1467rearside.jpg

grummantopsideview.jpg

Latest posts