1448 transom trolling motor

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

h20man

Reaction score
Most of the ponds in my area are electric only. I need a transom trolling motor for a 1448 all weld. Would a 55lb thrust be sufficient? Whats the consensus, Minnkota or Motorguide? Thanks

I have a 1436 fisher tin powered with twin minkota 40lb and seperate batteries. It will push the boat on a good day 3.8mph.
I also have a 1860 CC Grizzley with a 55lb on the front, it will pull at 2.8 mph. I generally troll at 1mph and can fish all day plus some on the batteries. Hope this helps....River

h20man said:
Most of the ponds in my area are electric only. I need a transom trolling motor for a 1448 all weld. Would a 55lb thrust be sufficient? Whats the consensus, Minnkota or Motorguide? Thanks

A 55lb will probably push you in the 3-4mph range in top speed mode. More thrust will only provide very small incremental speed increases.

You need to consider how you will be fishing these lakes. Trolling at 1mph all day, vs top speed from spot to spot. A typical 180 minute reserve battery, is only going to last about 90 minutes on high with a 55lb thrust. About 6 miles of travel.

If you are trolling or plan to mainly be going slower, a motor with "digital" type control will extend your reserve capacity some.

Consider going to two high reserve golf cart 6V bateries in series for a 12V 55lb, or a 65lb 24V system with the largest 12V DC reserve capacity you can afford.

I have a MotorGuide Varimax V55 Bowmount on my 1448MV. It scoots when I want to and trolls for a long time on a fully charged battery. I'm please with the motor.

Min Kota 55lb MK Endura! =D>

https://www.reedssports.com/Product/product.taf?_function=detail&_ID=7419&pc=39

it really depends on what you will be using the trolling motor for! I fish thick cover all the time and right now my 1436 is equipped with a 36 volt(3 batteries) 101lb Minnkota Maxxum. top speed with this trolling motor is 6mph! so just think about what conditions you will put yourself into before you choose one!

I use two 8 volt golf cart batteries. I am poor so I find dead batteries and trade them with the guy at the golf cart place for good used ones. He don't care. A core is a core. They change out all 6 in several carts a day. Usually half are still good. I have a load tester. I charge them in series with a 12 volt charger. I still show 16 volts though. I never question it. A 12 volt motor will get too hot at double voltage. So it can run on 24 volts for a short time. I have run 16 on my trolling motor forever. I run three batteries in my mobility scooter. it is 24 volt but the 36 volts hasn't burned it up yet.
It is very hard to find used 6 volt batteries. Club Car quit making the 36 volt carts in 2002. All carts around here are 48 volt, so 8 volt batteries is all I find. Go faster and longer. Golf Cart batteries are around a hundred bucks for Trojans. More if you don't have the $20 dollar core. I can buy good used ones here for the $20 dollar core price.

Latest posts