16' Cajun Special (Updated)

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kimber.45,

Thanks for directing me to your build. This project has given me immediate inspiration with the permanent fuel tank and the filler tube running to that stern/port bracing as well as the rear and front deck. Forgive me in advance for pirating your designs. :mrgreen:

crkdtlr, Steal all the ideas you want man! I certainly used this site for help while I was working through it. If you have any questions about how I did anything, I'm more than happy to help.

reedjj, Thanks man. She runs around 35mph average with two guys and gear. With just me, I've hit 38. If I lose a little weight i bet i could hit 40!! 8)

Just a Quick question. i know boats have a plate in them that tells what hp their rated at but there has to be a way to make it able to hold a little more. would you have any insight on this matter? this is my build, https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=18642 , and i know your boat is quite bigger than mine but Ive been told that mine is probably rated at 25-30 hp i like to do something to be able to put a 40-50hp motor at least on it. can you or any one else help with this?

Mr.Green said:
Just a Quick question. i know boats have a plate in them that tells what hp their rated at but there has to be a way to make it able to hold a little more. would you have any insight on this matter? this is my build, https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=18642 , and i know your boat is quite bigger than mine but Ive been told that mine is probably rated at 25-30 hp i like to do something to be able to put a 40-50hp motor at least on it. can you or any one else help with this?

https://files.dnr.state.mn.us/education_safety/safety/boatwater/backyardboatbuilders.pdf

There's a formula for determining you maximum "safe" horsepower rating. In that link on page 2 is where it starts.

Basically your horsepower is determined by the type of boat (v hull, flat bottom and such), type of material (aluminum, fiberglass), transom width and transom height. If your transom is 12" and you were able to increase it to 20" then, mathematically, you would be able to increase your horsepower based on the formula. I'm sure you'd have to have the boat inspected by USCG and have them certify the Maximum HP increase. Just a guess anyway.

Hey thanks for the help on the hp!! I went to the site figured i up and great news, My boat can hold a 40 hp. Thats perfect it should move across the water great with that size on it, once i can afford one. lol Thanks again for the help.

Mr.Green said:
Hey thanks for the help on the hp!! I went to the site figured i up and great news, My boat can hold a 40 hp. Thats perfect it should move across the water great with that size on it, once i can afford one. lol Thanks again for the help.

I want to sell mine in the off season, if you're ever around MI let me know