16' Monark Mod V Jon - The end of the Road - FOR SALE

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
fishinchef said:
Sounds good. Lets see those pictues!

I will take some tomorrow - the boat is snug like a bug in a rug right now.

Really liking the way this is turning out. I love that I can just get in, turn a key, and be off and have a nice, functional boat.

Awful day today. I said I would provide pictures of the stick steering, motor, etc. but it just wasn't in the cards today. Let's start with gearing up and driving to the ramp. All is fine, push off, go to turn the k...forgot the key at home. I live 20 minutes from where we are. I push us back to shore, force my gf to stay with the boat, unhitch the trailer to make better time, race home, and grab the key. Race back to the parking lot (at this time I notice the car is lunging and not responding well), connect the trailer, start to run down to the ramp, and realized I forgot the gas. GAS! How does one forget the gas?! Well, I run back to the car in disgust, trailer in tow and head to the ramp. GF is incredulous, "Are you kidding?" Many words I can't repeat here :oops: Put the boat on the trailer with difficulty, and head off to the parking lot. Ratchet tie the boat down, pull out the parking lot, start to go home. GF is obviously very uspet, she took off the day to be with me as she hasn't had ONE DAY free for the summer, looking forward to crusing and lounging.

I pull out of the parking lot and I hear crack, then scraping. Come to a slow stop, and walk around the car to see the trailer coupler under the Suburban. I forgot to lock the coupler!! I hoist the boat back on, and lock it on, and off we go. I was given a lecture (for good reason) on the way home.

On the way home the car wasn't acting right, the transmission seems to be acting strange. Now I can't even go out on the boat as that's my only tow vehicle. The Suburban has 120k miles, and it's my father's car, so he is thinking of taking advantage of the cash for clunkers. That's great I say, only to find out it may be a regular old car he's buying and not another SUV.

Welp, this was the worst day of the summer bar none. I am thankful no one was hurt, and that none of the problems are not permanent or anything like that. But to think that all the work I've done the past 3.5 months was for naught because of the car, well, that's driving me mad. Sorry to vent, but I feel like I had to. :(

Hopefully pictures soon.

Sorry to hear that... hopefully you'll get the car situation back in order and you'll be good to go. Heck, my 2001 Jimmy has 285,000 and some change, and its still going strong. I tow my 1648 with a 40 horse without hesitation...

Don't blame yourself for all the misfortunes, sounds like one of those days where one mistake turns into a chain reaction. Tends to happen when you really, really want to hurry up and get on the water.

Better luck next time around...

I'll blame it on the heat.
Had to google this one"incredulous".
Hopefully you put the boat up and spent the rest of the day wisely:)

Thanks guys, I am sure a lot of you have had your share of days.

Yeah, I could have gone back for the gas, but another 40 minutes with my better half steaming, I passed. We spent the rest of the day just hanging out and will revisit the prospects of going out on the boat together soon as the truck is fixed. I personally think it's a great time to upgrade to a better and more fuel efficient SUV. This cash for clunkers thing could net my dad a really good amount of money for this truck that has seen it's better days.

Well, I think the car is fine. I am afraid to admit that I think I had the 4 wheel drive on :oops: I used it to get off the ramp and then forgot to turn it off! I hope that's what it was, dad's none to happy about driving 60mph with it on for 20 min. #-o

Zum said:
Ah,just tell him thatyou were greasing the axles for him:)

Haha. Nah, he calmed down we're all good.

Bit of progress today - was able to get the back bench framed and covered. I decided against decking the back portion for a couple reasons. One, I want to keep the space open to make sure there are no explosions, and two, Ii've had it with the building/framing this year, lol. I would rather just do the bench, put in the seat base, and call it a day. I also fabbed up a small spot for my anchor light on the back of the bench. It will do for this year, then next I will maybe deck the back,

I was hoping to go out tonight to get a run at dusk - but my gf isn't getting in from the city til late, and I wanted to do something nice to make up for that debacle yesterday, lol. So, next nice day I will get some pics (hopefully tomorrow) and a report. The camera is lost in my room, and my phone literally got lost in Hoboken, NJ on Sat night at 3am in McDonald's. Thus, the pictures are lacking as of now.

Finally got on - just came to report that there is nothing to report. I didnt realize how busy I would be until mid-December. I have 3 classes, a comprehensive exam for my licensure, and clinical internship. My apologies for being so scarce, but I look at my boat in the driveway and it will just have to wait until spring :cry: Hope everyone is well, and enjoy all your great mods!

baptistpreach and Jboze, thanks for checking in.

I have been super busy with school and my internship, applying for jobs, etc. So unfortunately, I have not done anything to the boat since the last time out. The only thing I do is look at it under tarps and take off ice accumulation and water, so it won't ruin all my hard work. I plug in the on board batter charger every once in a while (gotta do that soon) and keep the batteries fresh.

I do have to get a new trailer, despite all the work I have put into the old one. The one I have is fine to support the boat, but the tongue is not long enough. How do I know? Because a few months back my dad heard some squeaking and brought it to the shop. The guy asked if he had let the car sit. Nope. He then asked if he had backed into water #-o . Well, I went to far down the ramp because the trailer was short, and must have gotten the rear too far down! Cost my dad about 1500 for the fixes he needed, ugh. Long story short, my dad said no more trailering until I get a bigger trailer.

I will have to figure something out, because I am thinking I will have to bring the boat to the lake, back it off, go home and ditch the first trailer, hitch the other bigger trailer, and come pick the boat up. I don't see how I can get the boat off the trailer without water seeing at it's pretty heavy. Then again, I could cinder blocks like they do, right? We'll see, I'm a few months away.

As of now I am looking for my first job in my second career. Interviewing and resumes and whatnot. So I'm still busy, but I definitely miss working on the boat. Thanks again for checking in.

Henry Hefner said:
How much longer does it need to be? Harbor Freight sells a 12" hitch extender. These guys just lengthened the trailer tongue:
https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=8318
https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=10250

Thanks, when the weather is nicer I may try and add the 12" tongue extender. I may also price out what a welder would charge to extend it out another 3-4 feet, which is probably what I need. I can't risk putting the tires in the water at all.

Froggy said:
A most interesting read, this thread to me at work today.....fantastic work man! well lets see if my employees are working :wink:

Thanks, Froggy. I need to post some completely finished pictures when the snow thaws out.

A couple suggestions.

1. You can move the boat with a few guys, and as long as you can get the back of the boat in the water (which you undoubtedly can) they can push it off

2. Bring 2 trucks with both trailers. Sure beats leaving your boat :) .

Anyhow, I know mine is heavy too, but its not too heavy to move, its still a jon boat!

Will be installing the bilge pump today, it's all wired but has to be fitted through the hull to make it permanent. Also will be selling this trailer and buying a new bigger trailer more suited for this boat.

Also, trying to figure out how to install a console, any advice here or in this thread: https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=12968 would be appreciated.

Snapped a couple pics. Will need to take better ones tomorrow.

Also got the piano hinges installed on the main hatches, though there are no pictures of those right now.

Attachments

• 2010-04-01 15.28.32.jpg
    2010-04-01 15.28.32.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 1,355
  • 2010-04-01 15.29.56.jpg
    2010-04-01 15.29.56.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 1,355
  • 2010-04-01 15.28.42.jpg
    2010-04-01 15.28.42.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 1,352

Latest posts