1756 Duck Boat modifications

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bassboy1

TinBoats Sponsor
Reaction score
Here we have a few modifications on a 1756 'custom' built hull. I'm going to refrain from mentioning the manufacturer's name, as I really don't have any good things to say about the quality of the boat, and the owner certainly doesn't have any good things to say about how he was treated, but I still wanted to share the mods.

In any case, this boat was sold as a custom boat, by a somewhat reputable (at least in the duck hunting market) However, the builders were unable to add some of the accessories that the owner needed, so I got to help.

Here are a couple photos of the boat, before I started.

The owner needed four different accessories here - large forward storage hatch, forward side rails, rear steps, and rear storage hatches (one with a drop in liner to be later plumbed for livewell use).

We'll start with the forward storage hatch. I first cut out a section of the deck.

Then, welded in a few pieces of formed sheet, to create the lid support, complete with drainage channels.

Next step was to cut into the rear deck, and weld in a lid support frame.

Livewell tank for the port side. This will be used during fishing season (just to hold crappie for the dinner table - not really large enough for a bass tourney), then removed during duck season, to allow for a larger storage compartment.

And lids.

Next step was to install some bow rails. 1.25" sch. 40 pipe is the material of choice here. It has an outside diameter of 1.66, so I find it to be the perfect size to comfortably grip.
When the customer has guests with them, they sit backwards on the back of the bow deck, on throw cushions, so this rail gives them something more comfortable to hold onto. Also, when pushing the boat around while wading, these provide a better handhold.

Last step was to add these corner steps on the transom. Bent pipe, topped with a piece of sheet. These are fairly nonintrusive, but make reentry much easier when wading.

Customer even sent me a picture after the boat was painted.

Dawson,
Can you say what brand that trailer is without giving away the boat hull manufacturer? Is that trailer galvanized or aluminum. I need one for my 1756.

Great job!!! I love this stuff!!!

Jr Branham said:
Dawson,
Can you say what brand that trailer is without giving away the boat hull manufacturer? Is that trailer galvanized or aluminum. I need one for my 1756.

Great job!!! I love this stuff!!!

That one is aluminum. Made by this company.

https://eztractrailer.com/

Frankly, I'm a bit hesitant of most welded aluminum boat trailers. The reason for this is that most I've seen are simply copies of steel trailers. The problem is that aluminum (especially 6061 alloy - which is what most extrusions used on trailers are), loses a lot of strength in the HAZ (Heat Affected Zone) around the weld. It's not the weld that will fail, but the heat damaged area immediately around the weld.

While this is true in all welded materials, the percentage loss in steel is much lower than aluminum. As such, many joint designs that are perfectly acceptable in steel are problematic when that same joint is configured in aluminum. It's certainly possible to build a very durable aluminum trailer, but there will be subtle design differences when compared to a steel trailer.

If it were mine to buy (and I do quite like aluminum trailers), I'd opt for a bolted together I-beam trailer. Do I think the welded one is simply going to fall apart? Absolutely not, but I'd feel more at ease with the bolted unit, and since it would be my money to be picky with, I'd do just that (be picky)

Now, do take the above with a grain of salt - I don't build or repair trailers, so my knowledge there is entirely academic.

As far as the aforementioned trailer company, while I'm not personally the biggest fan of that style of trailer, I will say that everything is well done. Welds look very good, and are consistent. All the accessories seem to be very professionally and cleanly made.

Latest posts