1965 evinrude fastwin

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Spidey1984 said:
Just picked her up from the shop. Ill post a pic of that split tomorrow. And start testing things in the morning.

From what you have been describing I wouldn't be surprised if those jackleg's are the ones who broke it. :mrgreen:

Went ahead and took the pic the split was there before they worked on it. I didnt think anything about it when I was messin with it. But I know nothing about boat motors though. So thoughts on the split, is this my problem? If so is this motor worth me getting a crank for it?

Attachments

• Crank2.jpg
    Crank2.jpg
    716.8 KB · Views: 446
  • Arm1.jpg
    Arm1.jpg
    841.3 KB · Views: 446
Few more pics, someone along the the line gave it a paint job

Attachments

• Fast1.jpg
    Fast1.jpg
    527.8 KB · Views: 446
  • Sidefast.jpg
    Sidefast.jpg
    560 KB · Views: 446
  • Sn.jpg
    Sn.jpg
    688.9 KB · Views: 446
Does the crack. Continue down past the lower bearing surface. (I mean its not good eother way, but we are no talking 300 horse here either)

My gut tells me just find another motor and part that one out though.

Thats a grinder track. They used a cut off wheel to cut off the flywheel I guess. You can tell it by where they nicked the cam that opens the points (sorry too early in the morning to think of the proper name, need more coffee!) It dont go thru the threads on the end or cant see it because of the nut.

Steve

I am going to throw this out there. By looking at the pics you posted. The one with the plate and coils and points. By looking at the position of the cam in relation to the points the one set of points should be open a little and they are not. This its what I would do. Turn the crank to where the highest point on the cam connects with the points arm. then set the points gap to 0.020. Then do the other set the same way. This is what I seen in the pic so its just my 2 cents.

Steve

From what I can see on my tiny phone screen if it is a grinder track your mechanic needs to be working at Wally World as a people greeter or cart pusher.. That said, admittedly I can't see much on this little screen

:)

The mechanics didnt cut the flywheel off previous owners did. Ill have to pick up some feeler gauges and check those points. Im at work now (big storm here in florida keeping me busy) but i do believe the cut goes down onto the.breaker cam. Ill double check when this storm is done

Something else that came to mind. Wonder if the flywheel is the right one for the motor? Did the PO have the motor running since they had to cut the flywheel off?

Steve

As long as the flywheel has magnets that are magnetized (this is a hint so check this) the spark should occur. Neither the armature plate or the crankshaft has anything to do with it.
One thing that comes to mind here. See if the points cam says "UP" on the top of it. If this is one of the points cams that can be installed either way the spark will not occur if the cam is upside down. The field will close or collapse too slowly for spark to occur. This is how these engines were kept from running reverse rotation.

As long as the flywheel has magnets that are magnetized (this is a hint so check this) the spark should occur. Neither the armature plate or the crankshaft has anything to do with it. The flywheel will control the timing and that could be an issue if it is the incorrect one but it should produce spark.
One thing that comes to mind here. See if the points cam says "UP" on the top of it. If this is one of the points cams that can be installed either way the spark will not occur if the cam is upside down. The field will close or collapse too slowly for spark to occur. This is how these engines were kept from running reverse rotation.

I will check that as soon as I get a chance. The mechanic shop tried a diff flywheel as well.

I checked today and the top of the cam you can just barley make out the word TOP on it. I remove one of the coils today and found the small wire to be broken in a few places. Surely they would have noticed this since they said they put all new parts on the armature plate?

Attachments

• coil.jpg
    coil.jpg
    217.1 KB · Views: 317
Points too I hope, might as well have all new stuff unless they already changed them.

Steve

Didnt get points but I did find a breaker cam on ebay i bought as well. Mechanics said they put all new parts on and still could not get fire. Guess we will find out what kind of mechanics they are when my parts come in.

well the didnt put new coils on it. Maybe different ones but not new. That broken wire on that coil you posted a pic of. Got me thinking so I went back and looked at previous pics. I didnt notice it then but I did this morning. The pic of the plate you can see the broken wire at the bottom of the pic. I really doubt that they put any new parts on it. I bet they didnt really want to work on it or they didnt know what they were doing. You can clean the points up with a file and set them and should be good for awhile as long as they arent pitted.

Steve

They took all the parts off that they put on when they still could not get it to fire. Took a few more pics today of the points open I know they prob are not right I will pick up some feeler gauges tomorrow and try to clean them up and get them set right.

Attachments

• Points1.jpg
    Points1.jpg
    697.1 KB · Views: 296
  • Points2.jpg
    Points2.jpg
    670.3 KB · Views: 296
I figured as much. Ill try to get them right tomorrow. I really appreciate all the advice and you guys putting up with me. I new nothing about boat motors going into this and now I feel like I have already learned alot. My parts should be here in a few days and hopefully Ill get some pretty blue spark when I install them

Latest posts