1965 evinrude fastwin

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is the file I was talking about. Should have been more clear on that! Sorry for the confusion. They are a great item to keep around. Handy for lots of things. The thin ones are the best.

https://www.sallybeauty.com/Nail-Files/TROPIC4,default,pd.html?cgid=Nail04-01

Steve

To my surprise all my parts came in today. Got them on, 2 new coils and 2 new condensors and cleaned up the points. Got one set of points gapped but the other didnt want to adjust open enough for some reason. Put flywheel back on and pull start and still could not get it to fire as far as i could tell anyway, its too sunny and hot to be able to see the spark. I was excited and may have got something wrong. Gonna get some lunch and get back at it.

Attachments

• Newcoil.jpg
    Newcoil.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 270
Alright got back at it and i have some spark. With the spark tester in place i could not see spark but I put my finger on it and felt it on both plug wires. Though the motor still did not even try to start after several pulls. The spark didnt feel real strong but then again I dont know how it should feel. Thoughts on this? Did i stop pulling to soon? I see there is some sort of fuel pumper or something, maybe the fuel didnt make it there yet. At least I have spark!!!!!!

3rd post in a row lol. So the spark def isnt strong enough. Testing in the dark tonight i cannot see any blue spark but i do feel it when I touch the tester. Not sure y it isnt strong enough. Went ahead and ordered points today and some parts for the carb too. Any Ideas? I put fuel directly in the cylinders and put the plugs back in and pulled and she didnt even hiccup once.

You need to route those wires much farther away from the center hub on the flywheel.
Isn't it amazing that YOU got spark and the "mechanics" didn't ?? Way to go.
Go back up several posts and look at the diagrams to make sure you have the spacing correct on the coil mounting posts. Too close and the flywheel will hit the coils. Too far away and you lose spark energy.

Going to ask since I didnt see it posted anywhere. Did they change the plug wires or has someone changed the plug wires? check them and make sure that they are wire core. If they arent wire core replace them with wire core wires.

Steve

They are wire core, but that gives me an idea. Doesnt the boot on the plug end come off? Maybe I need to trim the wire on that end as well. Ive got the carb off going to pick up some cleaner and soak it for a bit. Ordered a new float and needle valve kit along with a little plastic piece i broke on the mixture adjustment. Fuel line fell apart as well when I touched it.

Played a little today just with the spark. Didnt feel like taking it back apart today. With the plugs out and the spark tester in line I can hold my finger on the spark tester and the spark doesnt knock me down or anything. Should it be that strong that i could not touch it? Ive been hit with a trucks spark b4 and it made me jump out my boots.

Thanks for the positive reinforcement lol. Im gonna shine the points up some more today and double check the gap again.

No problem that what we are here for! LOL. Anyways I would check the points again and the ends on the spark plug boots. My 10 hp had these coiled wire end inside the boot. They have a hook that goes in the side of the plug wire to make contact with the core. Well those went in the trash and put different ends on them.

Steve

Thats exacly what mine has. Its stranded wire and in the boot end a little spring looking deal that sticks in the side of the wire and the spark plug plugs into that spring deal. Should I trash those? Where can I get better ones?

I got mine off of a old set of plug wires that I had laying around. You use to be able to get them at Napa.

Steve

So any plug wires will do as long as they are 7mm is it? I noticed the wires yesterday and I thought man this seems like junk. Snipped the boot end today and cleaned up the points and still getting weak fire. Guess Ill just wait till the new points come in and find me some plug wires in the mean time.

The boot and connector come as a kit from any Johnson/Evinrude dealer. Get the right parts and do the job right the first time. Cut the wire insulation back 1/8" and spread the wire core out like a fan. Use alcohol in the boot after installing the connector on the wire. Will slide right on.

question, did you change the points and condensers? sometimes the condensers seem ok, but if you still dont have spark, then i would suspect the condensers. imho. when i buy coils for a motor, then points and condensers should be replaced at the same time as the coils.
dino

Coils and condensers have been changed. Points will be changed when they come in.

Coils, condensers, points cam and plug wires and my fire is still too weak to get it to bust off. Only thing I have not changed are the points and they will be here any day now. Hopefully the points do the trick, Im starting to get a little aggravated pulling on this rope everyday but **** I want to get out on the water. Going to drink some whiskey and clear my head. Whats next?

A few pics

Attachments

• Points4.jpg
    Points4.jpg
    807.5 KB · Views: 409
  • Points3.jpg
    Points3.jpg
    868.3 KB · Views: 409

Latest posts