1973 Monark transom/stress crack repair

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Would you bother trying to get this crack fixed or just replace the wood and call it good?

If you would fix it, would you get it welded or just slap a piece of 1/8” aluminum angle over the whole transom cap? I’m leaning towards the aluminum angle. If I put it on the inside, I can bolt/rivet it so that it sandwiches the wood between it and the aluminum transom. View attachment 122628View attachment 122629

Yes, the aluminum angle idea is exactly what I would do after replacing the wood, if it's a low-horsepower application.

88' 15hp Johnson. A 16' jon from 73 is rated for somewhere between 25-30 hp, depending on the model. I can't find the tag on it and the title doesn't have a model number for me to be certain.

Yes, that should be fine, even if 30 HP. You could go 1/4" thickness, if you want to increase power without worry. 1/4" aluminum can be really strong, depending on the alloy. They make space craft out of that stuff!