1976 18x48 Ouachita Jon conversion, Pictures are back!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You have made some head way since I have last looked.....keep up the good work...looking forward to seeing it finished....Flintcreek

Only work that has gotten done has been some of the flooring is carpeted and in. I also got my hands on a bracket to mount my transom mount trolling motor up front, I'll have some pics of that later.

The weight is starting to show so I took her out Sunday evening by myself 2 tanks of gas and my trolling motor battery so I could move things around and see where it liked the weight. Still not 100% sure where it will all land but it was a beautiful evening so I have a few pics enjoy.

PIC-0038.jpg

P7260056.jpg

small1.jpg

small2.jpg

small3.jpg

Ok so I got this trolling motor mount from my neighbor/ boat mechanic from his huge pile of old outboard parts. I believe he said it was an Evinrude/ Johnson trolling motor, its like new. He was asking $25 fair enough. Then I paid a visit to my local machinist that for some reason really likes me, he turned me a bushing to make my Minkota shaft fit in the Johnnyrude bracket from deralin that he had from a previous project, price nothing. Can't beat that. OK so now that the trolling motor fits the bracket I need to make it function on the deck of the boat. So today we made up an aluminum box out of 1/4 inch plate, nice and solid to bolt to the deck . So here is where I am so far. I love how clean this looks.

I do have a question, what is the best way to determine how deep to set the trolling motor? This measurement will dictate where the base will mount.

Pics

IMG_4562%20copy.jpg

IMG_4564%20copy.jpg

IMG_4563%20copy.jpg

IMG_4566%20copy.jpg

Codeman said:
I do have a question, what is the best way to determine how deep to set the trolling motor? This measurement will dictate where the base will mount.

So it is below the surface of the water. :lol:

Couldn't resist. Now get the back deck done so I'll have someplace to set .

I have yet to find the "best" measurement for how deep the trolling motor should be, but I have mine exactly where you have your (I have the blades just under the flat part of the boat) and that seems to give me the best performance so far... I've tried it all the way up just under the water, and about every place inbetween all the way down... I think you've got it bout right.

russ010 said:
I have yet to find the "best" measurement for how deep the trolling motor should be, but I have mine exactly where you have your (I have the blades just under the flat part of the boat) and that seems to give me the best performance so far... I've tried it all the way up just under the water, and about every place inbetween all the way down... I think you've got it bout right.

Thats good cause that's where it's mounted now. LOL

Those pics on the lake are great.

Nice work on the TM box. That looks clean.

Codeman said:
Thanks Brine, can't beat being on the water at sunset, stress just kind of melts away. I'm very happy with the way the mount turned out.
Man I agree totally. Just you....the sky....a motor that won't crank for anything...

Just kidding
Rick in Orlando

Well after walking away from it for a few weeks I got my trolling motor mounted and wired along with the fish finder. Now I'm gonna try to get some fishin' done before moving on with more mods.

P8260088.jpg

P8260089.jpg

Well I've had it out 3 times this week. Everything is working great, passengers don't have the best seat in the house to fish out of yet, but that is my next step is to deck the rear seat. I might start that this week. Went out for bit last night with the kids, really only went to see if I had cured a little ailment with the motor which I found out pretty quick that I had, so we fished for a little while till we ran out of sunlight. Only caught one but I was happy for only 15 minutes of fishing.

Wednesday evening.

P9020095.JPG

P9020104.JPG

Last night me and the kids.

PIC-0044.jpg

Hey guess what. I did something. LOL Jumped into my rear deck up to my neck tonight. I had already cut some of the 2bys for the rear deck framing but using only a skill saw things weren't really good and square. My friend Mark took the time to re-cut my cross braces nice and square on his table saw for me. Well after he delivered them to me and everything squared up nicely I was able to make quite a bit of progress. Hope to get a lot more done this week. We'll see if that actually happens. :roll:

Pics of course.

Framework.

PA120063%20copy.jpg

Decking and the pedestal bases where will be basically.

PA120067%20copy.jpg

My plan is to put my switch panel in this corner the colored in area is the actual size of the hole.

PA120070%20copy.jpg

This section will be mounted solid, running light base, cup holder etc could go here.

PA120071%20copy.jpg

The remainder will be hinged for acess to the fuel tank battery etc.

PA120073%20copy.jpg

Codeman said:
Been kind of lazy this week. Need to get busy and finish this thing! :?

I have been that say way. I think with long projects like this we need to take a break after a few weeks. It helps with preventing "cutting corners"

LOL I have too many breaks on this thing. Been at it for a year now. #-o At least it is useable the way it sits. I hear the fish are starting to bite.

Well I haven't gotten much done in the last month. I've had a lot going on and the lake we fish has been 20' over normal pool for this time of year so fishing hasn't been high on my list. LOL I did piddle a little bit this weekend and got a little bit done.

I've been trying to figure out what to do with my key switch so that it was in easy reach of the tiller handle. Well I dug around and found the switch box that was in the boat when I got it. Turned out since I used a push to choke switch this time that the other hole was a perfect place to mount my lanyard kill switch. This will be mounted right under the motor on the transom.

PB290008.jpg

I finally got the decking cut for my storage hatch and water sealed. I'll give it a few days to cure and hopefully by weeks end I'll have it carpeted.

PB290011.jpg

Scored me a fat boy seat on clearance @ BP to. Cause I are a fat boy. :wink:

PB290012.jpg

Very nice looking seat framing! I have those same seats for my project.

Codeman said:
My plan is to put my switch panel in this corner the colored in area is the actual size of the hole.
PA120070%20copy.jpg

Man, after all that sweet work you all did on that highback transom and now you're gonna cut a hole in it? [-(